Solution to a sixth grade (degree 6) equation

• Thread starter Ennio
  • Start date
In summary: If a > b > c, then q > 0. If a < b < c, then q < 0.In summary, Cardano's solution for a third grade equation is incorrect, and you can find a deflated cubic equation that has no quadratic term, as well as the solutions to ##\ at^3 + b t^2 - c = 0\ ##.
Ennio

Homework Statement

can you plase support to solve this equation (sixth grade equation)?

Homework Equations

a*x^6 + b*x^4 - c = 0 with a,b,c>0

The Attempt at a Solution

t = x^2 --> t^3 + b/a t^2 - c/a = 0
variable change t = u - b/3a --> u^3 + p*u + q = 0 p,q>0
Cardano´s solution for a third grade equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ennio said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your question confused me at first, as I thought you were talking about the sixth grade in school. In English, your first equations would be classified as sixth degree and third degree, respectively.

I don't know of any way to solve the latter equation other than by using Cardano's method. In this case it is slightly simpler than for a general third degree equation, because there is no first-degree term. However, solving third degree equations using Cardano is not something that is taught in any U.S. grade school that I am aware of, and if taught at all at university level, very few of them would include it, to the best of my knowledge.

Mark44 said:
Your question confused me at first, as I thought you were talking about the sixth grade in school.

Me as well. But "degree" is "grado" in Italian and Spanish.

Ennio said:
Cardano´s solution for a third [degree] equation?

Yes, Cardano's method would be appropriate. You appear to have transformed it into the form of equation (15) here, so you could proceed with the remainder of that calculation.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicFormula.html

What is your question for us?

I think your problem relates to names for grades in primary and secondary schools. The terms used in Britain/US do not match up. British terminology: 3rd form would be second year algebra (or 10-11 grade in US), 6th form in Britain would be doing what is college level math (freshman-sophmore) in the US, i.e., analysis, analytic geometry.

RPinPA said:
Me as well. But "degree" is "grado" in Italian and Spanish.
Yes, Cardano's method would be appropriate. You appear to have transformed it into the form of equation (15) here, so you could proceed with the remainder of that calculation.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CubicFormula.html

What is your question for us?
Thnak you very much for the link. Yes Grado!

jim mcnamara said:
I think your problem relates to names for grades in primary and secondary schools. The terms used in Britain/US do not match up. British terminology: 3rd form would be second year algebra (or 10-11 grade in US), 6th form in Britain would be doing what is college level math (freshman-sophmore) in the US, i.e., analysis, analytic geometry.

thanks for the clarification

Ennio said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Another way to get a deflated cubic (one having no quadratic term) as well as giving the solutions to ##\ at^3 + b t^2 - c = 0\ ## is as follows.

Variable change: ##\displaystyle \ t = \frac{1}{w}\,.\ ##

Then we have
## \displaystyle \ a \left(\frac{1}{w^3}\right)+b \left(\frac{1}{w^2}\right) -c =0\,.\ ##​

Multiply by ##\ w^3\ ## and divide by ##\ -c\ ## and rearrange terms.

## \displaystyle w^3 -\frac{b}{c}w - \frac{a}{c} = 0 ##​

Also, you never indicated what sort of solutions you were interested in.

Last edited:
Likes mathwonk
Ennio said:
t^3 + b/a t^2 − c/a = 0
variable change t = u − b/3a --> u^3 + p*u + q = 0 p,q>0
I just noticed the restrictions that you have on p and q. Those are incorrect. In fact, it's definitely true that p < 0.
The sign of q depends upon the relative sizes of a, b, and c.

## \displaystyle p=-\, \frac { b^{2}}{3a^{2}} \ ## and ##\ \displaystyle q= \frac {2b^{3}}{27a^{3}} -\frac{c}{a} ##

Related to Solution to a sixth grade (degree 6) equation

1. How do you solve a sixth grade equation?

The general method for solving a sixth grade (degree 6) equation is to use the quadratic formula or factoring to reduce it to a quadratic equation, and then solve for the roots using the appropriate method.

2. What is the degree of a sixth grade equation?

The degree of a sixth grade equation is 6, meaning it has terms with the highest exponent of 6. This is also known as a sixth degree polynomial.

3. Can a sixth grade equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a sixth grade equation can have up to 6 solutions, depending on the number of terms and the complexity of the equation.

4. Is there a specific method to solve a sixth grade equation?

While there are various methods that can be used to solve a sixth grade equation, the most commonly used ones are the quadratic formula and factoring.

5. Can a sixth grade equation have imaginary solutions?

Yes, a sixth grade equation can have imaginary solutions, especially if it has complex coefficients or involves square roots of negative numbers.