Solution to Bessel's Differential Equation

In summary, to prove that J_n(x) satisfies Bessel's differential equation, we need to use integration by parts to calculate the derivatives and then substitute them back into the equation. Simplification and application of the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 allows us to show that the equation is equal to 0, proving that J_n(x) satisfies Bessel's differential equation.
Parmenides
Hey everyone. Need some more pairs of eyes for this one:

"For each positive integer ##n##, the Bessel Function ##J_n(x)## may be defined by:
[tex]J_n(x) = \frac{x^n}{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdots(2n-1)\pi}\int^1_{-1}(1 - t^2)^{n-\frac{1}{2}}\cos(xt)dt[/tex]

Prove that ##J_n(x)## satisfies Bessel's differential equation:
[tex]{J_n}^{\prime\prime} + \frac{1}{x}{J_n}^{\prime} + \Big(1 - \frac{n^2}{x^2}\Big)J_n = 0[/tex]"

This problem is following a question where I proved differentiating under the integral sign. Thus, the way to do this is to simply calculate the derivatives of ##J_n(x)## and plug back into the equation. However, I can't seem to get all of the terms to cancel. I believe that the only thing that needs "calculus" methods is to calculate the derivative, with respect to x, of all the ##x## terms:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(x^ncos(xt)) = (nx^{n-1}cos(xt) - tx^nsin(xt))[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x^2}}(x^ncost(xt)) = \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(nx^{n-1}cos(xt) - tx^nsin(xt) = (n(n-1)x^{n-2}cos(xt) - tnx^{n-1}sin(xt)) - (ntx^{n-1}sin(xt) + t^2x^ncos(xt))[/tex]
The rest would appear to be algebra. But again, not everything seems to cancel. That ##t^2## term seems to be messing things up for the ##x^n## terms and the ##x^{n-1}## terms seem to just combine. Unless there's an identity I'm overlooking, or my differentiation is wrong, I'm quite lost. Ideas? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You need to use integration by parts to get the derivatives correct. Letting u = (1 - t^2)^(n-1/2) and dv = cos(xt)dt, we can use integration by parts to calculate the derivatives of J_n(x):du = -2t(1 - t^2)^(n-3/2)dt and v = \frac{sin(xt)}{x}, thus \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(x^ncos(xt)) = (nx^{n-1}cos(xt) - tx^nsin(xt))and\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{x^2}}(x^ncost(xt)) = \Big(n(n-1)x^{n-2}cos(xt) - tnx^{n-1}sin(xt)\Big) - \Big(ntx^{n-1}sin(xt) + t^2x^ncos(xt)\Big)Substituting these derivatives back into the equation and using the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, we can simplify to J_n''(x) + \frac{1}{x}J_n'(x) + \Big(1 - \frac{n^2}{x^2}\Big)J_n(x) = \frac{2ntx^{n-1}sin(xt)}{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdots(2n-1)\pi} \int^1_{-1}(1 - t^2)^{n-\frac{1}{2}}dtwhich is equal to 0 since the integral is evaluated from -1 to 1.

FAQ: Solution to Bessel's Differential Equation

1. What is Bessel's Differential Equation?

Bessel's Differential Equation is a second-order differential equation that is commonly encountered in many areas of physics and engineering. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is used to describe oscillatory phenomena in cylindrical and spherical coordinates.

2. Why is it important to find a solution to Bessel's Differential Equation?

Bessel's Differential Equation appears in many physical systems, such as heat conduction, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic waves. Therefore, finding a solution to this equation is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems.

3. What is the general form of the solution to Bessel's Differential Equation?

The general form of the solution to Bessel's Differential Equation is a linear combination of two independent solutions: the Bessel function of the first kind (J) and the Bessel function of the second kind (Y). This can be represented as y(x) = c1J(x) + c2Y(x), where c1 and c2 are constants.

4. Are there any special cases of Bessel's Differential Equation?

Yes, there are several special cases of Bessel's Differential Equation, including the modified Bessel equation, the cylindrical Bessel equation, and the spherical Bessel equation. These equations arise when the parameters in the original equation are given certain values, and they have their own unique solutions.

5. How can I solve Bessel's Differential Equation?

Solving Bessel's Differential Equation can be done through various methods, including power series expansion, Frobenius method, and integral transforms. However, the most commonly used method is the power series expansion, which involves expressing the solution as an infinite series of simpler functions.

Back