Solution to Density Matrix Pure State Problem

In summary, to find the condition for which the density operator ##\hat{\rho}## will be a pure state, it must satisfy the condition ##Tr(\hat{\rho}^2)=Tr(\hat{\rho})=1##. However, in the given problem, the density operator is not normalized, so the correct condition is ##Tr(\hat{\rho}^2)=1/2##. This leads to the condition ##2|a|^2+2a_1^2=-1##, which cannot be true. Therefore, the given density operator is not a pure state density operator.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Find condition for which ##\hat{\rho}## will be pure state density operator?
##\hat{\rho} = \begin{bmatrix}
1+a_1 & a_2 \\[0.3em]
a_2^* & 1-a_1
\end{bmatrix}##

Homework Equations

In case of pure state ##Tr(\hat{\rho}^2)=Tr(\hat{\rho})=1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using that condition I got
##\hat{\rho}^2 = \begin{bmatrix}
(1+a_1)^2+|a_2|^2 & (1+a_1)a_2+a_2(1-a_1) \\[0.3em]
(1+a_1)a_2^*+a_2^*(1-a_1) & (1-a_1)^2+|a_2|^2
\end{bmatrix}##
and from that
## 2|a|^2+2a_1^2=-1## which can not be true. Because ##a_1## must be real, condition to ##\hat{\rho}## is hermitian.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand. That density operator you stated, it's not a pure state density operator, and that's why The trace of the square of rho will not be 1. It's correct. I afraid I did not understand your question.

Question is find condition put on ##a_1## and ##a_2## for which ##\hat{\rho}## is pure state density operator.

The problem occurs because you have not normalized the original density operator yet.

Tnx a lot Fightfish. I did not see that trace of given matrix is not ##1##. Density matrix must be
##\hat{\rho} =\frac{1}{2} \begin{bmatrix}
1+a_1 & a_2 \\[0.3em]
a_2^* & 1-a_1
\end{bmatrix}##

FAQ: Solution to Density Matrix Pure State Problem

1. What is the density matrix pure state problem?

The density matrix pure state problem refers to the challenge of determining the density matrix of a quantum system when the system is in a pure state. This problem is important in quantum mechanics as the density matrix contains information about the state of the system and can be used to calculate various properties of the system.

2. Why is the density matrix pure state problem important?

The density matrix pure state problem is important in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate various properties of a quantum system, such as its energy, momentum, and spin. It also provides a way to study the evolution of a quantum system over time.

3. How is the density matrix pure state problem solved?

The density matrix pure state problem is typically solved by using the spectral decomposition theorem. This involves diagonalizing the density matrix and then using the resulting eigenvalues and eigenvectors to determine the state of the system.

4. What are the limitations of solving the density matrix pure state problem?

One limitation of solving the density matrix pure state problem is that it becomes increasingly difficult as the size of the quantum system increases. This is due to the large number of variables and calculations involved. Additionally, some quantum systems may not have a unique solution to the density matrix pure state problem.

5. How does the solution to the density matrix pure state problem impact quantum research?

The solution to the density matrix pure state problem has a significant impact on quantum research as it allows scientists to accurately calculate and predict the behavior of quantum systems. This has applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and other areas of quantum technology. It also helps us better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality at the smallest scales.

Back