Solution to differential equations of piezoelectric vibration

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with the vibration of a piezoelectric ring with electrodes on the upper and lower surface. The polarization of the ring is along the thickness direction and the structure is shown in a cylinder coordinate system. The discussion includes the constitutive equations, equation of motion, and geometric relations. The goal is to find a solution to the equation and the speaker is seeking references for further reading. They mention the possibility of finding an analytic solution or using numerical solutions with boundary conditions and approximations. The conversation ends with a mention of finding a form for the solution in Cartesian coordinates.
athosanian
dear all, I am working on a problem about the vibration of a piezoelectric ring with electrodes on the upper and lower surface. the coordinate system is cylinder coordinate system. the structure is shown below. This is an axisymmetry problem.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69968&d=1400765791.png

the polarization of the piezoelectric ring is along thickness direction.

constitutive equations are
attachment.php?attachmentid=69969&d=1400765791.png

the equation of motion are
attachment.php?attachmentid=69970&d=1400765791.png

The geometric relations are
attachment.php?attachmentid=69971&d=1400765791.png

substituting constitutive relation and geometric relation into the equation of motion , I obtain
attachment.php?attachmentid=69972&d=1400765791.png

I want to find a solustion to the above equ. (4). Any one who is familiar with such equations could provide some references for me to read ? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• structure.png
    structure.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 913
  • 图片2.png
    图片2.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 830
  • 图片3.png
    图片3.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 图片4.png
    图片4.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 647
  • 图片5.png
    图片5.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 787
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you expect an analytic solution?

You might determine some appropriate boundary conditions and carry out a series of numerical solutions; this will help you locate the most sensitive parameters, and guide you in some appropriate approximations which will simplify the equations.

I just want to find a form for the solution. For example, in Cartesian coordiantes, the vibration equation is
attachment.php?attachmentid=70014&d=1400853516.png

the solution for the equations is
attachment.php?attachmentid=70016&d=1400853785.png

Then I can continue the discussions.

Attachments

• 图片6.png
    图片6.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 图片8.png
    图片8.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 622
I guess you want to say that there is one of the possibile solutions for the equations you wrote!

I am familiar with differential equations and their applications in various fields, including piezoelectric vibration. The problem you are working on is interesting, and it is important to find a solution to the equation of motion (equation 4) in order to understand the behavior of the piezoelectric ring.

One approach to finding a solution to this type of differential equation is to use numerical methods, such as finite element analysis or boundary element method. These methods can provide accurate solutions for complex structures like the one you are studying.

Another approach is to look for analytical solutions, which can provide insight into the behavior of the system. In this case, you may want to consider using perturbation methods or variational methods to find a solution.

There are also several textbooks and research papers available on the topic of piezoelectric vibration, which may provide useful information and references for you to explore. Some potential resources include "Piezoelectric Vibration and Acoustic Resonance Insulators" by L. E. Cross and "Piezoelectricity: An Introduction" by R. J. Prins and G. W. Taylor.

I hope this helps guide you in your research and I wish you success in finding a solution to your equations. Keep exploring and learning, and don't hesitate to reach out to other scientists or experts in the field for guidance and support.

Related to Solution to differential equations of piezoelectric vibration

1. What is a piezoelectric material?

A piezoelectric material is a type of material that can convert mechanical stress or pressure into electrical energy, and vice versa. This property is due to the arrangement of positive and negative charges within the material, which creates an electric field when the material is deformed.

2. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In the context of piezoelectric vibration, differential equations are used to model the behavior of the piezoelectric material as it undergoes vibration.

3. How do piezoelectric materials vibrate?

Piezoelectric materials vibrate when an external force or pressure is applied to them, causing a deformation in their crystal structure. This deformation creates a change in the electric field within the material, which in turn generates an electric charge that causes the material to vibrate.

4. What is the solution to differential equations of piezoelectric vibration?

The solution to the differential equations of piezoelectric vibration is a function that describes the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the material as it undergoes vibration. This solution can be found through mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or finite element analysis.

5. What are the applications of the solution to differential equations of piezoelectric vibration?

The solution to differential equations of piezoelectric vibration is used in various applications, such as in sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices. It allows for the accurate prediction and control of the behavior of piezoelectric materials, making them useful in a wide range of industries including aerospace, automotive, and medical fields.