Solution to Double Integral Problem

In summary: The symmetry respect to x and y is evident, so that we can choose one or the other order of integration and write... $\displaystyle \int\int_{A} (x^{2} + y^{2})\ dy\ dx = \int_{0}^{1} dx\ \int_{0}^{1-x} (x^{2}+y^{2})\ dy = \int_{0
TheArun
I want the answer for this and how is it solved.
double integral(x2+y2 dxdy) over the region in pos quadrant for which x+y<=1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: iam new...i have a question...pls help.

Arun said:
I want the answer for this and how is it solved.
double integral(x2+y2 dxdy) over the region in pos quadrant for which x+y<=1.

Wellcome on MHB Arun!...

... did You make some attempt?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ya...sure..tried many times...iam getting 2/3 as ans...but accd to text it is 1/6...dont know y iam wrong.
Btw thank for reply.

Arun said:
ya...sure..tried many times...iam getting 2/3 as ans...but accd to text it is 1/6...dont know y iam wrong.
Btw thank for reply.

Hi Arun,

Welcome to MHB! :) Please use proper English here, meaning don't use lots of abbreviations like "ans" for "answer".

In order to help you we need to see what work you've done, so without seeing how you got $\frac{2}{3}$ we don't know where you went wrong.

Jameson

Jameson said:
Hi Arun,

Welcome to MHB! :) Please use proper English here, meaning don't use lots of abbreviations like "ans" for "answer".

In order to help you we need to see what work you've done, so without seeing how you got $\frac{2}{3}$ we don't know where you went wrong.

Jameson

sorry fed up with all the subscripts and superscripts...is der some easier way...anyway i have done it in word.but it is showing invalid file.

Arun said:
sorry fed up with all the subscripts and superscripts...is der some easier way...anyway i have done it in word.but it is showing invalid file.

We use Latex on MHB and have a http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f26/ that explains how to use it. Until you learn how to use Latex I suggest taking a screenshot of your work and uploading the image to TinyPic. Then you can post the picture here.

Here is an example of what $\LaTeX$ can do:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\)

Jameson said:
We use Latex on MHB and have a http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f26/ that explains how to use it. Until you learn how to use Latex I suggest taking a screenshot of your work and uploading the image to TinyPic. Then you can post the picture here.

Here is an example of what $\LaTeX$ can do:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\)

this is the image
156966o.jpg

All right!... the region of integration is the 'colored area' of the figure...

http://www.123homepage.it/u/i69735807._szw380h285_.jpg.jfif

The symmetry respect to x and y is evident, so that we can choose one or the other order of integration and write...

$\displaystyle \int\int_{A} (x^{2} + y^{2})\ dy\ dx = \int_{0}^{1} dx\ \int_{0}^{1-x} (x^{2}+y^{2})\ dy = \int_{0}^{1} |x^{2}\ y + \frac{y^{3}}{3}|_{0}^{1-x}\ dx = \int_{0}^{1} (\frac{1}{3} - x + 2\ x^{2} - \frac{x^{3}}{3})\ dx$ (1)

Now are You able to proceed?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

so it turns out to be 5/12 right...?
But answer in a text is shown to be 1/6...author's mistake is it?
And i would also like to know y u chose this order of integration is it easier this way...the logic?
A very big thanks.

Arun said:
so it turns out to be 5/12 right...?
But answer in a text is shown to be 1/6...author's mistake is it?
And i would also like to know y u chose this order of integration is it easier this way...the logic?
A very big thanks.
Hello Arun,
I get it also to \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{12}\) and about the order of integration both is same difficult/simple. You can try it out if you want.
edit: When you mean 'order of integration' I asume you mean why he did choose \(\displaystyle 1-x\) insted of \(\displaystyle 1-y\)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:

Related to Solution to Double Integral Problem

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical integration that involves finding the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It is represented by a nested integral sign and is used to solve problems involving multiple variables.

2. How do I solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you will need to first identify the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can evaluate the integral using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals. It is important to carefully set up the integral and follow the correct steps to solve it accurately.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have numerous applications in science, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to calculate areas, volumes, and masses of objects in two-dimensional space. They are also used in physics to calculate work and in probability to calculate joint probabilities.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration and will result in a numerical value. It represents the volume under a surface between two given boundaries. An indefinite double integral does not have limits of integration and will result in a function of the remaining variables. It represents the general solution to a double integral problem.

5. Are there any tips for solving double integral problems?

Some tips for solving double integral problems include first sketching the region of integration, carefully setting up the integral, and simplifying the integrand as much as possible before integrating. It is also helpful to practice using different techniques to solve integrals and to double check your work for accuracy.