Solution to Laplace's Equation: f = r^-n-1 * cos(n+1)θ

In summary: Remember that n is just a constant, so it doesn't change when you differentiate.In summary, the function f = r^-n-1 * cos(n+1) θ satisfies Laplace's equation, given by r^2 \partial^2 f / \partial r^2 + r \partial f / \partial r + \partial^2 f / \partial θ^2 = 0. The derivatives of f with respect to r and θ are -(n+1)cos[(n+1)θ] r^{-(n+2)} and -(n+1)sin[(n+1)θ] r^{-(n+1)}, respectively.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

f = r^-n-1 * cos(n+1) θ satisfies laplace's equation.
r^2 [itex]\partial^2 f / \partial r^2[/itex] + r[itex] \partial f / \partial r[/itex] + [itex]\partial^2 f / \partial θ^2[/itex] = 0

Homework Equations

P.D.E

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\partial f / \partial r[/itex] = nr^n-1 * sin (nθ)
[itex]\partial f/ \partial θ [/itex] = ncos(nθ)*r^n
Are these derivatives right ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happened to partial differential equation?

HACR said:
What happened to partial differential equation?

Sorry , I have fixed my latex commands.Refresh the webpage.

The function is :

f = [itex]r^{-n-1}[/itex] * cos (n+1)[itex]θ[/itex]

Now I have been trying to figure out what bits are exactly related to variable 'r' and 'theta'...
[itex]\frac {\partial f}{\partial θ}[/itex] = {sin (n+1)θ + cos (n+1) } * r^-n-1 or
sin (n+1) * r^-n-1.
Can someone clarify this for me . Thanks!

If [itex]f = cos[(n+1)\theta] r^{-(n+1)}[/itex]

then [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = -(n+1)cos[(n+1)\theta] r^{-(n+2)}[/tex]
and [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} = -(n+1)sin[(n+1)\theta] r^{-(n+1)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Bread18 said:
If [itex]f = cos[(n+1)\theta] r^{-(n+1)}[/itex]

then [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = -(n+1)cos[(n+1)\theta] r^{-(n+2)}[/tex]
and [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} = -(n+1)sin[(n+1)\theta] r^{-(n+1)}[/tex]

Thanks for the help. This makes sense.. I was being sloppy, I didn't realize the fact that differentiating sin nθ is no different than sin (n+1)θ ah...

Ha yeah, no problem.

FAQ: Solution to Laplace's Equation: f = r^-n-1 * cos(n+1)θ

1. What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the variation of a scalar function in a given space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to electric and gravitational potentials, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.

2. What is the solution to Laplace's Equation?

The solution to Laplace's Equation depends on the boundary conditions of the problem. However, for problems with circular symmetry, the solution can be expressed as f = r^-n-1 * cos(n+1)θ, where r is the radial distance from the center and θ is the angular coordinate.

3. What is the significance of the term r^-n-1 * cos(n+1)θ in the solution?

This term represents the potential function or the solution to Laplace's Equation. It is a combination of the radial and angular components of the function and is dependent on the value of n, which determines the type of problem being solved.

4. How is Laplace's Equation used in real-world applications?

Laplace's Equation has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to model and solve problems related to electrostatics, fluid flow, heat transfer, and potential fields. It is also used in image processing and computer vision algorithms.

5. What are some limitations of Laplace's Equation?

While Laplace's Equation is a powerful tool for solving many problems, it has some limitations. It assumes that the solution is continuous and differentiable everywhere, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it is limited to problems with circular symmetry and cannot be applied to problems with complex geometries.

Back