Solution to Tributary Distance Homework Statement

• Thread starter Peter10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a simply supported beam with two uniformly distributed loads acting on it. The question is about determining the distance taken by each column in this case. The solution involves calculating reaction forces and using terms such as "tributary width" or "tributary area" to determine the load on each column. The concept of "tributary distance" is also mentioned, which is determined by finding the point where the total distributed load is equal to the calculated column load.
Peter10

Homework Statement

[/B]
This represents simply supported beam resting on two columns. Two uniformly distributed loads act on the beam.
upload_2016-3-16_12-31-57.png

What is the distance taken by each column in this case?

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated reaction forces. I have bending and shear forces diagrams. I do not know what to refer to in order to obtain tributary distances of each columns..(bending moment diagram, centre of gravity? ).

Values are rounded up if anybody wonders. The distances in the diagram are not known by the way.

Thanks a lot an d please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "tributary width" or "tributary area" is often used when determining loads on columns from floor or roof slab loads. I have never heard the term 'tributary distance' used for simple single beam design on 2 supports.
I suppose, since you have already calculated the column loads, that the tributary distance from the right support is the distance where the total of the distributed load from that point to the right end is equal to the right column load you calculated. I guess.

Related to Solution to Tributary Distance Homework Statement

What is meant by "Solution to Tributary Distance Homework Statement"?

The "Solution to Tributary Distance Homework Statement" refers to a problem or exercise that involves calculating the distance between a tributary and its main river. This type of homework statement is commonly found in the field of hydrology and water resource engineering.

Why is it important to calculate tributary distance?

Calculating tributary distance is important for understanding the flow of water in a river system. The distance between a tributary and its main river can affect the water flow and the distribution of nutrients and sediment throughout the river system. This information is crucial for managing and maintaining healthy river ecosystems.

What factors are involved in calculating tributary distance?

The main factors involved in calculating tributary distance include the topography of the area, the location and size of the tributary and main river, and the flow rates of both bodies of water. Other factors such as land use, climate, and human impacts may also play a role in the calculation.

How is tributary distance typically measured?

In most cases, tributary distance is measured using geographical tools such as maps, GIS software, and remote sensing techniques. These tools allow scientists to accurately measure the distance between two points on a map or in the field. Other methods such as aerial photography and on-site surveys may also be used.

Can tributary distance change over time?

Yes, tributary distance can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion and sedimentation, as well as human activities such as dam construction and land use changes. It is important for scientists to regularly monitor and update tributary distance measurements to account for any changes in the river system.