Solutions to Linear Diff. Eq. of 1st Order in a Ring?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the solution of a linear differential equation in a ring $R$ must also be an element of the ring or if it can be a function outside of the ring. The conclusion is that in order for the solution to be in the ring, the forcing function $F$ must also be an element of the ring. This is a necessary but not sufficient condition. The proof for this statement involves showing that if the solution is in the ring, each of its derivatives and the coefficients of the equation must also be in the ring, leading to the conclusion that the forcing function must also be in the ring.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

When we want to have solutions of a linear differential equation of first order $$ax'(z)+bx(z)=y(z)$$ in a ring $R$, does $y$ have to be an element of the ring?

Or is it possible that $y$ is a function that does not belong to $R$ but the solution of the differential equation is in $R$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

When we want to have solutions of a linear differential equation of first order $$ax'(z)+bx(z)=y(z)$$ in a ring $R$, does $y$ have to be an element of the ring?

Or is it possible that $y$ is a function that does not belong to $R$ but the solution of the differential equation is in $R$ ? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Wave)

Wouldn't $a,b,x(z),x'(z)$ all be elements of $R$? (Wondering)
Because that would imply that $y(z)$ is also an element of $R$.

I like Serena said:
Wouldn't $a,b,x(z),x'(z)$ all be elements of $R$? (Wondering)

Yes.
I like Serena said:
Because that would imply that $y(z)$ is also an element of $R$.

I see... Thanks a lot! (Mmm)

So, we have the following:

A differential equation $$\alpha_ny^{(n)}+\dots +\alpha_0 y=F$$ with constants coefficients $\alpha_i \in R$, $i=0, \dots , n$ and $\alpha_n \neq 0$ has solutions in the ring $R$ if $F\in R$. right?

Is it a necessary but not sufficient condition ? (Wondering) Is the proof of the above statement the following? (Wondering)

We suppose that the solution of the differential equation belongs to the ring, i.e., $y \in R$. Then also each of its derivatives belongs to the ring, i.e., $y^{(i)} \in R$, $i=1, \dots , n$.
We also have that $\alpha_i \in R$, $i=0, \dots , n$.
Then $\alpha_ny^{(n)}+\dots +\alpha_0 y \in R \Rightarrow F\in R$.

FAQ: Solutions to Linear Diff. Eq. of 1st Order in a Ring?

1. What is a linear differential equation of first order?

A linear differential equation of first order is an equation that involves a function and its derivative (first order) in a linear relationship. This means that the highest power of the function and its derivatives is 1, and the coefficients of these terms are constants.

2. What is a solution to a linear differential equation of first order?

A solution to a linear differential equation of first order is a function that satisfies the given equation. This means that when the function and its derivatives are substituted into the equation, the equation holds true.

3. What is a ring in the context of linear differential equations?

In the context of linear differential equations, a ring is a closed loop or path where the function and its derivatives are defined. This means that the function and its derivatives are continuous and differentiable along this path.

4. How are solutions to linear differential equations of first order in a ring different from solutions on a general domain?

The solutions to linear differential equations of first order in a ring are defined on a specific, closed path, whereas solutions on a general domain can be defined on any set of values. Additionally, solutions in a ring may have different properties and behaviors compared to solutions on a general domain.

5. What are some applications of solutions to linear differential equations of first order in a ring?

Solutions to linear differential equations of first order in a ring can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum or the decay of radioactive substances. In engineering, they can be used to analyze electrical circuits or to predict the behavior of a chemical reaction. In economics, they can be used to study population growth or the flow of money in a market.