Solv. Calibration Curve Problem for Unknowns: A-E

• Thread starter kynephrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Urgent
In summary: X(molar absorptivity). plugging in the calibrations and solving for X gives you a value for x of -5.1.In summary, the regression line had a bad slope and an offset of 1.5 absorbance units. This makes extrapolating the concentration of an unknown impossible.
kynephrus
I don't know if this is the right place to post such a question, but I saw a couple of other similar questions, so I figured I would give it a shot.

My problem has to do with a calibration curve. My lab partner and I just did an analysis using UV-Vis on caffeine. We constructued a calibration curve using linear regression, the equation of the line being:

y = 0.0002x + 1.5033

We are trying to extrapolate the concentration of an unknown using this equation and the absorbencies obtained for the unknown. I know theoretically I should just plug the absorbancy into y and solve for x, but the absorbance is so small, whenever I try I get a really negative number, in the 6000. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to use this number even though it is negative?

The absorbancy of the various unknowns are:
a=0.118988
b=0.225891
c=0.305755
d=0.234054
e=0.226928

if someone can help me with this is would be greatly appreciated. I've pretty much run out of sources and ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are all the units (y and x)? What were the extremum points of the calibration data? How good was the linear fit (do you have a value for RMS error or chi-square)?

Right off the bat I notice that the slope of your regression line is good to only 1 sig fig. That doesn't look encouraging. Consider fixing that.

It is worse than that, I'm afraid. The slope of this line is close to zero and the offset is 1.5 absorbance units! 1.5 absorbance units is waaay into the nonlinear range. You will never be able to do anything with this calibration line. Your calibration should be forced to go through zero since Beer's law states that absorbance = (path length)X(concentration)X(absorptivity). the path length is constant as is the molar absorptivity so combining them gives you an equation something like absorption = (constant)X(concentration) + 0

Related to Solv. Calibration Curve Problem for Unknowns: A-E

1. What is a solv. calibration curve?

A solv. calibration curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the concentration of a solute and its measured signal. This curve is used to determine the concentration of an unknown sample by comparing its measured signal to the curve.

2. Why is it important to calibrate the instrument before analyzing unknown samples?

Calibrating the instrument helps to ensure the accuracy and precision of the measurements. It also allows for the creation of a standard curve, which is necessary for determining the concentration of unknown samples.

3. How do you prepare a solv. calibration curve?

To prepare a solv. calibration curve, a series of standards with known concentrations are prepared and their corresponding signals are measured using the instrument. The data is then plotted on a graph, and a best-fit line is drawn to represent the relationship between concentration and signal.

4. Can a solv. calibration curve be used for different solvents?

No, a solv. calibration curve is specific to the solvent and the instrument being used. Different solvents can have different properties and may affect the signal being measured, so a separate calibration curve must be created for each solvent.

5. What is the purpose of analyzing unknown samples using a solv. calibration curve?

The purpose of analyzing unknown samples using a solv. calibration curve is to determine their concentration. By comparing the measured signal of the unknown sample to the standard curve, its concentration can be determined accurately.

Back