Solve 2nd Order Diff Eq: y''=sin(3t)+4e^t, y(0)=1, y'(1)=0

In summary, the conversation discussed finding a general solution and a particular solution for the equation y''=sin(3t)+4e^t, with given initial conditions. The general solution was determined to be y(x)= -sin(3t)/9 + 4e^t + c + d, and the specific values for c and d were found by setting up and solving two equations. Alternatively, the solution could be obtained by integrating twice and using the given initial conditions to solve for the constants of integration.
Dissonance in E

Homework Statement

find a general solution to the eq:
y''=sin(3t)+4e^t

Find a particular solution that satisfies
y(0) = 1
y'(1) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ive figured the general solution to be
y(x)= -sin(3t)/9 + 4e^t + c + d
And thus
y'(x) = -cos(3t)/3 + 4e^t +c + d

I know the solution is the general solution + the specific values for c & d.

so we get 2 equations

-sin(3(0))/9 +4e^0 +c +d = 1
4+c+d=1
c+d=-3

-cos(3(1))/3 +4e^1 +c +d = 0
-cos(3)/3 + 4e +c +d =0
c+d = cos(3)/3 -4e

now what? if I try substituting values for c & d i end up eliminating both the c and d terms
eg: c = -3 -d
(-3 -d ) + d = cos(3)/3 -4e
-3 = cos(3)/3 -4e ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of the way you chose, I would just integrate twice to get y(t).

You have y''(t) = sin(3t) + 4e^t
Integrate once to get y'(t) = -(1/3)cos(3t) + 4e^t + C
Use the fact that y'(1) = 0 to solve for C.
Now integrate y'(t) to get y(t), remembering to add a different constant of integration, say D. Use the initial condition y(0) = 0 to solve for D.

FAQ: Solve 2nd Order Diff Eq: y''=sin(3t)+4e^t, y(0)=1, y'(1)=0

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to describe the behavior of systems over time.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

The general process for solving a second order differential equation is to first identify the type of equation (homogeneous, non-homogeneous, etc.) and then use appropriate methods such as substitution, integration, or variation of parameters to find the solution.

3. What does "y(0)=1" mean in the given equation?

This notation represents the initial condition for the dependent variable y. In this case, it means that at t=0, the value of y is equal to 1.

4. How do you find the value of y in the given equation?

To find the value of y, you would first solve the differential equation using the given initial conditions. This would give you the general solution for y, which can then be used to find the specific value of y at a given time or point.

5. What is the significance of y'(1)=0 in the equation?

This notation represents the initial condition for the first derivative of y. In this case, it means that at t=1, the value of the first derivative of y is equal to 0.

Back