Solve $(2x+1)(3x+1)(5x+1)(30x+1)=10$: Real Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for solving a quartic equation and determining the number of solutions. The first step is to expand the expression using the FOIL method, and the discriminant formula can be used to determine if there are real solutions. The quadratic formula can also be used, but other methods such as factoring or grouping may be easier. There is no specific order in which to solve the equation, but it may be helpful to rearrange the terms into standard form. A quartic equation can have a maximum of four solutions, but some may be complex numbers instead of real numbers.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find all real solutions of the equation $(2x+1)(3x+1)(5x+1)(30x+1)=10$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Find all real solutions of the equation $(2x+1)(3x+1)(5x+1)(30x+1)=10$.

we have $(2x+1)(30x+1)(3x+1)(5x+1) = 10$
or $(60x^2+ 32x + 1)(15x^2+ 8x + 1) = 10$

letting $15x^2 + 8x = t$

$(4t+1)(t+1) = 10$

or $4t^2 + 5 t + 1 = 10$

or $4t^2 + 5t - 9 = 0$

or $(4t+9)(t-1) =0 $

t = 1 or -9/4

t = 1 gives

$15x^2 + 8x-1=0$ giving $x = \dfrac{-4\pm\sqrt{31}}{15}$or $(15x^2 + 8x +\frac{9}4{4}) = 0$

or $(60x^2+ 32x + 9) = 0$

this gives complex solution

so solutions are $x = \dfrac{-4\pm\sqrt{31}}{15}$

Related to Solve $(2x+1)(3x+1)(5x+1)(30x+1)=10$: Real Solutions

1. What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step in solving this equation is to expand the expression using the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last).

2. How do I know if there are real solutions to this equation?

To determine if there are real solutions, we can use the discriminant formula. In this case, the discriminant is equal to 901, which is greater than 0, indicating that there are two real solutions.

3. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use the quadratic formula to solve this equation. However, since this is a quartic equation (degree 4), it may be easier to use other methods such as factoring or grouping.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve this equation?

There is no specific order in which you need to solve this equation. However, it may be helpful to rearrange the terms so that the equation is in standard form (ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0) before attempting to solve it.

5. How many solutions should I expect for this equation?

Since this is a quartic equation, we can expect a maximum of four solutions. However, it is possible for some of the solutions to be complex numbers instead of real numbers.