Solve 3-D Geometry Problem: Find Intersection Line of Bisector Planes

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the equation of the line of intersection of the planes through the axes is: \frac{x}{\sqrt{b^2+c^2}}=\frac{y}{\sqrt{a^2+c^2}}=\frac{z}{\sqrt{b^2+a^2}}.
Saitama

Homework Statement

The planes ax+by+cz=1 meets the axes OX, OY, OZ in A,B,C. A plane through the x-axis bisects the angle A of the triangle ABC. Similarly, planes through the other two axes bisect the angles B and C. Find the equation of the line of intersection of these planes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Its been quite some time I have done any problems on 3-D geometry. I can find the points where the given plane intersect the axes but how do I find the bisector planes? I need a few hints to begin with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to find the planes, all you need is the line of intersection. All you need is two points on that line. The origin is one point on that line, can you find another point?

I myself don't know what the formula will be, it's a strange question.

Last edited:
verty said:
You don't need to find the planes, all you need is the line of intersection. All you need is two points on that line. The origin is one point on that line, can you find another point?

I myself don't know what the formula will be, it's a strange question.

The following are the coordinates of A,B and C:
##A(1/a,0,0)##, ##B(0,1/b,0)## and ##C(0,0,1/c)##

Since the planes bisect the angles, I guess the other point would be the incentre of triangle ABC. Correct? How did you find that origin is a point satisfying the line.

The given answer is:
$$\frac{x}{\sqrt{b^2+c^2}}=\frac{y}{\sqrt{a^2+c^2}}=\frac{z}{\sqrt{b^2+a^2}}$$
Is this what you get?

I didn't get an answer, I knew the problem would reduce to finding the incenter, which I didn't try to find. I want you to figure out why the origin is on that intersection, keep thinking about that, draw a picture if necessary.

I don't know how I would find the incenter. I would try to solve it in two dimensions first. There may be no easy way to answer it.

Likes 1 person
verty said:
I didn't get an answer, I knew the problem would reduce to finding the incenter, which I didn't try to find. I want you to figure out why the origin is on that intersection, keep thinking about that, draw a picture if necessary.
I think origin is obvious because the bisector planes pass through the axes. :-p
I don't know how I would find the incenter. I would try to solve it in two dimensions first. There may be no easy way to answer it.

There is a formula I have used before for finding the incentre in two dimensions. I tried to extend it to three dimensions and it seems to work. The formula can be found here:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Incenter.html

Thank you verty! :)

Related to Solve 3-D Geometry Problem: Find Intersection Line of Bisector Planes

1. What is a 3-D geometry problem?

A 3-D geometry problem involves finding solutions to geometric problems in three-dimensional space. This can include finding the intersection points, lines, or planes of various geometric shapes.

2. What are bisector planes?

Bisector planes are planes that divide a geometric shape or object into two equal parts. They can be used to find the midpoint, bisector line, or bisector angle of a shape or object.

3. How do you find the intersection line of bisector planes?

To find the intersection line of bisector planes, you must first identify the two bisector planes that intersect. Then, find the intersection point of these planes by solving their equations simultaneously. Finally, use this intersection point to find the equation of the intersection line.

4. What is the significance of finding the intersection line of bisector planes?

Finding the intersection line of bisector planes can help solve various geometric problems, such as finding the center of a circle or the incenter of a triangle. It is also a useful tool in engineering and architecture for constructing and designing structures.

5. Are there any practical applications of solving 3-D geometry problems?

Yes, there are many practical applications of solving 3-D geometry problems. These include designing buildings, creating computer graphics, and solving real-life problems involving shapes and objects in three-dimensional space.