Solve 3* Problem: A Dog on a Raft - Halliday & Resnick, 8th Ed. (p.231)

• Thread starter TimH
  • Start date
In summary, problem 17 in Chapter 9 of Halliday and Resnick, 8th Edition (p.231) is a "three star" problem that involves a raft and a dog on a frictionless surface. The dog moves 2.4m down the raft towards the shore while the raft moves away from the shore under the dog's feet. The key equation used is (total mass of system)( x coordinate of center of mass)= (m1)(x1)+(m2)(x2), and after solving for the variable d, it is found that the dog is 4.2m from the shore. Another approach to solving this problem is to focus on the change in position of the dog and raft with
TimH
This is problem 17 in Chapter 9 of Halliday and Resnick, 8th Edition (p.231). This is one of their "three star" (= hard) problems. Just thinking about it makes my head spin. I've managed to eventually get the right answer, but I'd appreciate someone describing the situation in their own words so I have another perspective.

Problem:
A raft is floating, stationary, offshore, with mass= 18kg. On the raft is a dog, mass 4.5kg. The dog is 6.1m from the shore. The water is considered a frictionless surface for the raft. The dog walks 2.4m down the raft towards the shore. How far is the dog now from the shore?

My Approach:
Okay, the point is the dog moves one way, while the raft moves the other way under the dog. The center of mass (com) does not move. I took the location of the com as the center of a one-dimensional co-ordinate axis. I imagined the dog-raft system to be like two point masses with the com inbetween somewhere. But here we don't know how long the raft is. But we do know that the com is not moving.

The key equation is (using the x-axis as a our one-dimensional coordinate):

(total mass of system)( x coordinate of center of mass)= (m1)(x1)+(m2)(x2), with m1=dog mass, ,m2=raft mass, and x1,x2 the location of those particles.

If the com is at the origin of the axis (=0) then in the above 0=(m1)(x1)+(m2)(x2). Now the dog moves 2.4m down the raft. But the raft is moving away from the shore, under the dog's feet. So 2.4m of raft passes under the dog without the dog actually moving 2.4m closer to the shore. So you can't say 0=(m1)(2.4)+(m2)(x2) to get x2 (if you do this, you get the wrong answer).

If the dog is walking in the +x direction, then he is actually moving a distance 2.4m - d, where we don't know d. But this d is also the distance that the raft moves towards the com. So for our equation we can use (2.4m - d) for the dog, and -d for the raft, since the raft is moving in the -x direction: So the correct equation is 0=(m1)(2.4 - d)+(m2)(-d). Putting in the masses gives 4.5(2.4+d)+18(d)=0 and solving this for d gives d=.48m. So the dog moves 2.4 - d=1.92m as seen from the sea/shore. And the dog starts 6.1m from shore so now he's so 6.1m-1.92m=4.2m from shore (= correct answer).

Is there any simpler way to think about this? What throws me is the dog moving one way while the raft is moving the other way (as seen from the shore).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll tell you how I would do solve this. It's pretty much what you did, but it might help to see it from a slightly different view.

All I care about is the change in the position of the dog and raft with respect to the shore. Say the raft moves a distance x away from the shore, so its change in position is -x. The dog moves 2.4m with respect to the raft, so his change in position with respect to the shore is -x+2.4.

Since the center of mass cannot change, we have: (-x)Mr + (-x + 2.4)Md = 0. Solve for x, then for (-x + 2.4), then for the dog's distance from the shore and you're done.

Thanks. Just hearing another person describe it helps. This problem is in a class of problem I occasionally come across where everything is moving and its hard to pin things down to get started. I've discussed these sorts of problems with my brother who's a statistician, and its not just physics-- its a particular sort of mathematical situation. For example, when most people think about the change from standard to daylight savings time, this sort of problem comes up. They can't figure if it should be darker or lighter at a given hour, after the switch. I have to walk myself through it, e.g. "Okay, if its this dark now, after setting the clocks back, it will be this dark, but when the clock says one hour earlier." It's just interesting to me there are some conceptual situations where its hard to get traction.

Related to Solve 3* Problem: A Dog on a Raft - Halliday & Resnick, 8th Ed. (p.231)

1. What is the "3* Problem" in Halliday & Resnick, 8th Ed.?

The "3* Problem" refers to a physics problem from the textbook Halliday & Resnick, 8th Ed. involving a dog on a raft. It is a common problem used to illustrate the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion.

2. What is the scenario described in the problem?

In the problem, a dog is standing on a raft that is floating in a calm lake. The dog suddenly decides to walk towards the back of the raft, causing the raft to move forward. The problem asks for the final velocity of the dog and the raft after the dog has walked a certain distance.

3. What are the key principles used to solve this problem?

The key principles used to solve this problem are Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the law of inertia (first law) and the law of action and reaction (third law). These laws state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force and that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How is the problem solved mathematically?

The problem is solved by setting up two equations using the principles of Newton's Laws. The first equation is for the horizontal forces, where the force of the dog walking backward is equal to the force of the dog and the raft moving forward. The second equation is for the vertical forces, where the weight of the dog and the raft is balanced by the buoyant force of the water. These equations can then be solved to find the final velocity of the dog and the raft.

5. Why is this problem important in the study of physics?

This problem is important in the study of physics because it demonstrates the application of Newton's Laws of Motion in a real-world scenario. It also helps students understand the concept of inertia and the importance of considering all forces acting on an object in order to determine its final motion. Additionally, it introduces the concept of buoyancy and the relationship between weight and buoyant force in an object's equilibrium.