Solve a Geometric Sequence Problem | Sum of 15 & 60 | Algebraic Method

• Thread starter Numbnut247
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help for a geometric sequence problem. They have already found the first two terms and are trying to find the third term using algebraic methods. After some calculations and confusion, they realize that they can simplify the problem by only dealing with the first term and the common ratio. This leads them to a simple quadratic equation to find the missing term.
Numbnut247
Hey guys:cool: , I need help for sum of a geometric sequence problem:

The first and second terms of a geometric sequence have a sum of 15, while the second and third terms have a sum of 60. Use an algebraic method to find the three terms.

This is what I have so far:

a + b + c
a + b = 15
b + c = 60
a = a
r = b/a
S2 = 15 = a(1-(b/a)^2)/1-(b/a)
S3 = 60 = a(1-(b/a)^3)/1-(b/a)

I then solved for a and b and got a = 3.75 and b = 11.25.

After knowing a and b, I find the common ratio: 3. But my numbers do not work for S3 because I got 48.75 (Which, interestly enough is 11.25 away from 60:rolleyes: )

I'm really confused:confused: :cry:

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I just figured it out, let's get rid of the a, b, and c stuff and just deal with a and r. well you have 3 terms that differ by a power of r you have
{ar0, ar1, ar2}

you know that

a + ar = 15

and that

ar + ar2 = 60

divide the second equation by 4 and you can then set the two equations equal to one another and you end up with a nice quadratic to find r.

thanks man:smile:
it's actually so simple i never thought about that:blushing:
thanks again:smile:

Yea it took me a bit to realize that too, and I felt so stupid because I almost immediately realized what the asnwers had to be but couldn't figure out how to derive them for a bit.

FAQ: Solve a Geometric Sequence Problem | Sum of 15 & 60 | Algebraic Method

What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the common ratio. The formula for a geometric sequence is an = a1rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

How do I find the sum of a geometric sequence?

To find the sum of a geometric sequence, you can use the formula Sn = a1(1-rn)/(1-r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

What are the steps for using the algebraic method to solve a geometric sequence problem?

The steps for using the algebraic method to solve a geometric sequence problem are:

1. Determine the common ratio r by dividing any term by the previous term.
  2. Write out the formula for the nth term, an, using the first term a1 and the common ratio r.
  3. Sum the first n terms using the formula Sn = a1(1-rn)/(1-r).

How can I use the algebraic method to solve a geometric sequence problem with a given sum and number of terms?

To solve a geometric sequence problem with a given sum and number of terms, you can use the formula Sn = a1(1-rn)/(1-r) to set up an equation with two variables, a1 and r. You can then use algebraic techniques to solve for these variables and find the missing terms in the sequence.

Can I use the algebraic method to solve any geometric sequence problem?

Yes, the algebraic method can be used to solve any geometric sequence problem as long as you have enough information to determine the common ratio and/or the number of terms in the sequence. However, in some cases, using other methods such as the recursive method or the table method may be more efficient.