Solve a Simple Physics Problem for High School: Pelican and Falling Fish"

• Thread starter playa007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a small fish dropped by a pelican that is rising steadily at 0.41m/s. After 1.8s, the velocity of the fish is unknown. Some steps and formulae are needed to solve this problem. One possible approach is to use the formula vf=vi+at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. For part b, the formula s=(vi+vf/2)*t or s=vit+1/2at^2 can be used, where s is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, vf is the final velocity, and t is the time. It is important to show some work
playa007
i have just started physics in high school and i got this problem i want some help on this question:

A small fish is dropped by a pelican that is rising steadily at 0.41m/s.
a)After 1.8s, what is the velocity of the fish? Answer in units of m/s
b)How far below the pelican is the fish after the 1.8s? Answer in units of m.

if anyone can show me the steps and formulae, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what steps have you taken so far? most people on this board like to see that you put some work in a problem before submitting it for help. Here is a hint:

What effect does the fact that the pelican is rising have on the fall of the fish? Is gravity affected when you are moving against gravity at a gentle constant velocity?

~Lyuokdea

vi= 0.41 m/s
t-1.8s
vf= ?
a=9.8 m/s
therefore u use vf=vi+at
that is what i think i not quite sure for part a.
for part b u use s=(vi+vf/2)*t or s=vit+1/2at^2

FAQ: Solve a Simple Physics Problem for High School: Pelican and Falling Fish"

1. What is a "Very Simple Physics Problem"?

A "Very Simple Physics Problem" is a basic problem that involves the application of fundamental principles of physics to solve a given scenario or situation.

2. How do I solve a "Very Simple Physics Problem"?

To solve a "Very Simple Physics Problem", you need to identify the given variables, determine which principles or equations apply, and then use those equations to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some examples of "Very Simple Physics Problems"?

Examples of "Very Simple Physics Problems" include calculating the speed of an object, determining the force needed to move an object, and finding the acceleration of an object.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to solve a "Very Simple Physics Problem"?

Having a basic understanding of physics principles and equations can make it easier to solve a "Very Simple Physics Problem". However, with clear instructions and practice, anyone can solve these types of problems.

5. Why are "Very Simple Physics Problems" important?

"Very Simple Physics Problems" are important because they help us understand and apply fundamental principles of physics in a practical and tangible way. They also serve as building blocks for more complex physics problems and can help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Back