Solve Acceleration of 200-lb Block After 50-lb Force is Applied

• Thread starter xzibition8612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma Form
In summary, the block experiences an acceleration of 3.55 ft/s^2 due to the force of 50 lbs applied to it.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

The 200-lb block is at rest on the floor (u=0.1) before the 50-lb force is applied as shown in Figure 1. What is the acceleration of the block immediately after application of force? Assume the block is wide enough that it cannot tip over.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

See my free body diagram (FBD attachment).
I setup the equations:

-fi+Fcos30i+Nj-mgj-Fsin30j=m(x''i+y''j+z''k) (i,j,k are unit vectors, x'',y'',z'' are double dot or acceleration)

Thus I get two equations:
Fcos30-f=mx''
mg+Fsin30=N

I plug in for the second equation and get N=6425. Coefficient of static friction is 0.1, so my max static friction is 0.1*6425 = 642.5. So if I go back to the first equation, it looks like the block doesn't move despite the 50lb force. But the book gives the answer as 3.55ft/s^2 in the positive x direction, so I screwed up somewhere. But I can't see it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Figure 1.jpg
    Figure 1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 395
  • FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Imperial units. Yuck. Is the 200 pounds the weight of the block, or is it the mass of the block? In other words, is that unit pounds-force, or pounds-mass? I would have assumed the former, for consistency, since other forces in the problem are given in lbs.

If so, then I should point out that the force balance in the y-direction says that:

200 lbs + (50 lbs)sin(30 deg) = 225 lbs.

Certainly not 6425 lbs.

Last edited:
You're right. So it is 225 lbs for N, and thus friction is 0.1*225 = 22.5 pounds. But we know the F in the x direction is Fcos30 = 43.3 pounds, so the box moves and hence there is acceleration. So I plug in 22.5 for f in my first equation and get x''=0.104 which isn't right. Where am I going wrong here? Thanks.

If one takes a quantity in force-pounds and divides by mass-pounds, the result is not acceleration in ft/s2.

You could first convert the mass to slugs.

Or you could convert the problem quantities to metric, and then convert the answer back to ft/s2.

Last edited:
No, for this problem just assume 200 lb block = mg. I looked over and I think that's right. No need to over complicate it in the context of this problem.

MisterX said:
If one takes a quantity in force-pounds and divides by mass-pounds, the result is not acceleration in ft/s2.

You're right: it's not. If you do that, the result is acceleration in units of g. The reason for this is that pounds-force and pounds-mass are defined in such a way that an object will have the same mass in lbm as its weight in lbf on EARTH. So if you multiply your answer by g = 32.174 ft/s2, you'll get it in units of ft/s2, and the result is about 3.346 ft/s2.

MisterX said:
You could first convert the mass to slugs.

Yes, equivalently, you could first divide the 200 lbf by g to get mass in slugs, and then compute the result using

a = F/m,

where m is in slugs now (instead of using 200 lbm). You'll still get the same result though: 3.346 ft/s2.

The two methods are arithmetically equivalent: in the second method, you divide the mass by 32.174 in order to convert it from lbm to slugs. However, since mass appears in the denominator, this is equivalent to multiplying the final answer for acceleration by 32.174, which is what you do in the first method to convert from units of g to units of ft/s2.

Try as I might, I haven't found any way to reproduce an answer of 3.55 ft/s^2. It's close but not quite. Maybe the book is just wrong.

FAQ: Solve Acceleration of 200-lb Block After 50-lb Force is Applied

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = Δv / Δt, where "a" is acceleration, "Δv" is the change in velocity, and "Δt" is the change in time.

3. How does a 200-lb block experience acceleration?

In order for a 200-lb block to experience acceleration, a force must be applied to it. This force causes the block to accelerate in the direction of the force. The magnitude of the acceleration will depend on the mass of the block and the magnitude of the applied force.

4. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be for the same amount of force.

5. How does a 50-lb force affect the acceleration of a 200-lb block?

Since the 50-lb force is applied to the 200-lb block, it will experience an acceleration in the direction of the force. The magnitude of this acceleration will depend on the mass of the block and the magnitude of the applied force. Using the formula for acceleration, we can calculate the exact value of the acceleration of the block after the 50-lb force is applied.

Back