Solve Algebraic Equations 0≤x<2π | Exact Values

• MHB
  • Thread starter SarahJeen
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the given equations algebraically with solutions as exact values where 0≤x<2π, first subtract tanx from both sides of the equation and then factorize. This will give two possible solutions: tanx = 0 and 2cosx-1=0. The solutions for tanx=0 are x=k*Pi (where k=1,2,...) and for 2cosx-1=0, the solutions are x=Pi/3+2kPi and x=-Pi/3.
SarahJeen
Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x<2π

Solve the following equations algeraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x<2π

a)2tanxcosx=tanx
b) View attachment 862

- - - Updated - - -

Any Help would be much appreciated thanks sarah :) (Inlove)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 8.54.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 8.54.47 PM.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 48
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x<2π

Let's do these one at a time for clarity. For the first problem, what do you think would be a good first step?

Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x<2π

MarkFL said:
Let's do these one at a time for clarity. For the first problem, what do you think would be a good first step?

could we divide both sides by tan?

SarahJeen said:

What if \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \tan{(x)} = 0\)?

Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x&lt;2π

Prove It said:
What if \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \tan{(x)} = 0\)?

if it was radians when sin(x) = 0 tan(x) = 0... Reasoning for that is that tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) so if sin(x) = 0 then tan(x) so sin(x) = at pi and 2pi... if I'm correct...

- - - Updated - - -

SarahJeen said:
if it was radians when sin(x) = 0 tan(x) = 0... Reasoning for that is that tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) so if sin(x) = 0 then tan(x) so sin(x) = at pi and 2pi... if I'm correct...

this is a very new topic for me and my final is next week (Sun)

SarahJeen said:

We could, but only if we consider \(\displaystyle \tan(x)=0\) is then possibly removed as a solution. A better approach would be to subtract $\tan(x)$ from both sides, then factor, so that we can use the zero factor property.

So, subtracting, then factoring, what do we get?

Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x&lt;2π

SarahJeen said:

- - - Updated - - -

If someone could show the solutions for these 2 and also explain it I would appreicate it very much :) (Bandit)

SarahJeen said:

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to have missed my point entirely, which is that you can NOT divide by 0. Rather, you need to set your equation equal to 0, factorise, and set each factor equal to 0.

And no, the policy of MHB is to NOT give full solutions. Students are expected to be doing their own work, and so are required to attempt these problems themselves, showing their full working and where they are stuck. Then more specific guidance can be given.

The reason that Mark gave you a full solution in the other thread is because you posted on another site. Now that you are a member here you are expected to follow the rules of the forum.

Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x&amp;lt;2π

Prove It said:
You seem to have missed my point entirely, which is that you can NOT divide by 0. Rather, you need to set your equation equal to 0, factorise, and set each factor equal to 0.

And no, the policy of MHB is to NOT give full solutions. Students are expected to be doing their own work, and so are required to attempt these problems themselves, showing their full working and where they are stuck. Then more specific guidance can be given.

The reason that Mark gave you a full solution in the other thread is because you posted on another site. Now that you are a member here you are expected to follow the rules of the forum.

Ooo.. Thanks :) I will follow the guidelines I'am just struggling at this concept that is the reason for my...

- - - Updated - - -

SarahJeen said:
Ooo.. Thanks :) I will follow the guidelines I'am just struggling at this concept that is the reason for my...

Is this a good start? 2tanxcosx-tanx=0 ... tanx(2cosx-1)=0... so either tanx=0 or 2cosx-1=0
tanx=0 for x=k*Pi (k=1,2,...)
2cosx-1=0 ... 2cosx=1 ... cosx=1/2 ... x=Pi/3 + 2kPi and -Pi/3 +2kPi

SarahJeen said:
If someone could show the solutions for these 2 and also explain it I would appreicate it very much :) (Bandit)

You will get much more from these if you are not simply shown how to do them, but actually take part in getting to the solutions.

We want to help you to be able to do these yourself. If you follow our suggestions you will get there in no time. :D

MarkFL said:
You will get much more from these if you are not simply shown how to do them, but actually take part in getting to the solutions.

We want to help you to be able to do these yourself. If you follow our suggestions you will get there in no time. :D

Okay :) well if we subtract tan from both sides

2tanxcosx-tanx

we would get

1tanxcosx? correct

Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x&amp;lt;2π

SarahJeen said:

- - - Updated - - -
Is this a good start? 2tanxcosx-tanx=0 ... tanx(2cosx-1)=0... so either tanx=0 or 2cosx-1=0

Absolutely correct, though you should choose different letters for the different arbitrary constants. Well done :)

SarahJeen said:
Okay :) well if we subtract tan from both sides

2tanxcosx-tanx

we would get

1tanxcosx? correct

I think I got it now :)

2tanxcosx = tan
2tanxcosx - tanx = 0
tanx(2cosx - 1) = 0
tanx = 0, ===> x = 0, x=pi, and x=2pi >==========< ANSWER
Also,
2cosx -1 = 0, ===> cosx = 1/2

x = pi/3, and x=-pi/3 >====================< ANSWER

SarahJeen said:

Yes, that is a good start.

For \(\displaystyle \tan(x)=0\) you need to let $k$ be any integer, and then take only those values within the specified domain. Can you state which these are?

For \(\displaystyle \cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}\) which value(s) of $k$ do you want?

Recall we want \(\displaystyle 0\le x<2\pi\).

You are doing well, we just need to iron out these minor details. :D

secound equation? :)
2sin^2x - sin x - 1 = 0?
Let m = sin x
2m^2 - m - 1 = 0
(m+1)(2m-1) = 0
m = -1
sin x = -1
x = 3pi/2

m = 1/2
sin x = 1/2
x = pi/6 or 5pi/6

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:

For \(\displaystyle \tan(x)=0\) you need to let $k$ be any integer, and then take only those values withing the specified domain. Can you state which these are?

2cosx = 1
cosx = .5

SarahJeen said:
I think I got it now :)

2tanxcosx = tan
2tanxcosx - tanx = 0
tanx(2cosx - 1) = 0
tanx = 0, ===> x = 0, x=pi, and x=2pi >==========< ANSWER
Also,
2cosx -1 = 0, ===> cosx = 1/2

x = pi/3, and x=-pi/3 >====================< ANSWER

Is \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{\pi}{3} \end{align*}\) in the region \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \in \left[ 0 , 2\pi \right] \end{align*}\)?

Re: Solve the following equations algebraically. Give solutions as exact values where 0≤x&amp;amp;amp;lt;2π

MarkFL said:

For \(\displaystyle \tan(x)=0\) you need to let $k$ be any integer, and then take only those values within the specified domain. Can you state which these are?

I put a new solution without the funny varibles

- - - Updated - - -

Prove It said:
Is \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{\pi}{3} \end{align*}\) in the region \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \in \left[ 0 , 2\pi \right] \end{align*}\)?

Yes ? am I correct

- - - Updated - - -

SarahJeen said:
I put a new solution without the funny varibles

- - - Updated - - -
Yes ? am I correct

Would you mind showing the correct solution now? since I have my input I would like to see how to do it properly

Last time I checked, there is not a single negative number that is greater than 0, so how could \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = -\frac{\pi}{3} \end{align*}\) possibly be in the region \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \in [ 0, 2\pi ] \end{align*}\)?

SarahJeen said:
second equation? :)
2sin^2x - sin x - 1 = 0?
Let m = sin x
2m^2 - m - 1 = 0
(m+1)(2m-1) = 0
m = -1
sin x = -1
x = 3pi/2

m = 1/2
sin x = 1/2
x = pi/6 or 5pi/6

While you have the right idea to recognize you have a quadratic in $\sin(x)$, you have factored incorrectly. Try FOILing your factored form...

FAQ: Solve Algebraic Equations 0≤x<2π | Exact Values

1. How do I solve algebraic equations with exact values?

To solve algebraic equations with exact values, you can use the basic principles of algebra such as combining like terms, using inverse operations, and isolating variables on one side of the equation.

2. Can you give an example of an algebraic equation with exact values?

One example of an algebraic equation with exact values is sin(x) = 1/2. This equation can be solved by using the inverse sine function and finding the angle x that has a sine ratio of 1/2, which is approximately 30 degrees or π/6 radians.

3. What is the importance of using exact values in algebraic equations?

Exact values in algebraic equations allow us to find precise solutions without rounding or approximating. This is particularly important in fields such as physics and engineering where accurate calculations are necessary.

4. How do I solve algebraic equations with a restricted domain, such as 0≤x<2π?

To solve algebraic equations with a restricted domain, you can use the same principles as solving regular algebraic equations, but you must also consider the restrictions. In this case, you would only look for solutions that fall within the given domain, which is between 0 and 2π.

5. Are there any tips for solving algebraic equations with exact values?

One helpful tip for solving algebraic equations with exact values is to familiarize yourself with the unit circle and the trigonometric ratios associated with each angle. This can make it easier to recognize common exact values, such as 0, 1/2, and 1, and solve equations more efficiently.