Solve Basic Calc Probs: dy/dx for y=z7, z=sin(x) & y=√z , z=x4+1

• Thread starter ar202
  • Start date
In summary, for the given functions, the derivative dy/dx is expressed as a function of x using the chain rule. For part (A), y=z7 and z=sin(x), the derivative is 7sin6(x)cos(x). For part (B), y=(1/2)sqrt(z) and z=x4+1, the derivative is 2x3/sqrt(x4+1). It is recommended to work with exponents rather than radicals for easier computation.
ar202

Homework Statement

for each of the following find dy/dx, expressing the answer as a function of x.

(A) y=z7, z=sin(x)

(B) y=√z , z=x4+1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some trouble working out what the question is actually asking me to do... If i go at it normally i get for eg 7z6cos(x) ... but this isn't the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
ar202 said:
If i go at it normally i get for eg 7z6cos(x) ... but this isn't the answer.
Express the answer as a function of x. (Get rid of that z!)

so I'm literally just replacing the z?

sin(x)7sin(x)

becomes

7sin(x)6cos(x)

the 2nd line looks ok, but why do you start with sin(x)7sin(x)?

also to help people help you, try & be clear in what you want to communicate and try and give all the info eg.

so substituting in for z(x) = sin(x) gives
y(x) = sin(x)7
then differentiating w.r.t. x
y'(x) = 7sin(x)6cos(x)

lanedance said:
the 2nd line look ok, but why do you start with sin(x)7sin(x)?

i was replacing the z... prob mixed up the steps

Are these questions based on the chain rule?

ar202 said:
so I'm literally just replacing the z?
Yes. Your answer of 7z6cos(x) becomes 7sin6(x)cos(x).

ar202 said:
Yes.

ar202 said:

yes & and that's exactly what you've used

ok cool, because i was doing some work on products and quotients and then got hit with these so was a little thrown.

thanks for your help!

ps Any help with (B) :p

in essence same as a) using chain rule

in both cases you are given y(z) and z(x), then substitute to get y(z(x))

the derivative of y w.r.t. the chain rule is
[tex] \frac{dy(z(x))}{dx} = \frac{dy(z)}{dz} \frac{dz(x)}{dx} [/tex]

noting as you did early on you need to substitute in for z = z(x) in the final answer if any remain

ok I am kinda struggling with the latex code... what a ballache! apologies if this is confusing

z=1/2√z & z=x4+1 = 4x3

then i get

4x3/2√x4+1

how does that look...?

ar202 said:
ok I am kinda struggling with the latex code... what a ballache! apologies if this is confusing

z=1/2√z & z=x4+1 = 4x3
It should be y = (1/2)sqrt(z) + 1. You don't want z to be defined as the square root of itself. Then, if z = z=x4+1, dz/dx = 4x3, not z.
ar202 said:
then i get

4x3/2√x4+1

how does that look...?
Other than it's incorrect? It should be written as an equation that identifies what you have found.

You might find it easier to work with exponents rather than radicals. y = (1/2)z1/2. dy/dx = dy/dz * dz/dx

Mark44 said:
It should be y = (1/2)sqrt(z) + 1. You don't want z to be defined as the square root of itself. Then, if z = z=x4+1, dz/dx = 4x3, not z.

Other than it's incorrect? It should be written as an equation that identifies what you have found.

You might find it easier to work with exponents rather than radicals. y = (1/2)z1/2. dy/dx = dy/dz * dz/dx

ok. thanks for the help dude

Related to Solve Basic Calc Probs: dy/dx for y=z7, z=sin(x) & y=√z , z=x4+1

1. What is the process for solving basic calculus problems?

The process for solving basic calculus problems involves identifying the given function or equation, using the appropriate formulas and rules, and simplifying the equation to find the derivative or integral.

2. How do you find the derivative of y=z^7?

To find the derivative of y=z^7, we use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). In this case, the derivative of z^7 would be 7*z^(7-1) = 7z^6.

3. What is the derivative of z=sin(x)?

The derivative of z=sin(x) is equal to cos(x). This can be found using the chain rule, which states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is equal to f'(g(x)) * g'(x). In this case, f(x)=sin(x) and g(x)=x, so the derivative is cos(x).

4. How do you find the derivative of y=√z?

The derivative of y=√z can be found using the power rule and the chain rule. First, we can rewrite the equation as y=z^(1/2). Then, using the power rule, the derivative would be (1/2)*z^(1/2-1) = (1/2)*z^(-1/2). Finally, using the chain rule, we multiply by the derivative of the inside function, which is 1/2*sqrt(z).

5. How do you find the derivative of z=x^4+1?

The derivative of z=x^4+1 can be found using the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). In this case, the derivative would be 4*x^(4-1) = 4x^3. The derivative of the constant term 1 is 0. Therefore, the final derivative is 4x^3.