Solve Bivariate Normal: X,Y,G,F Homework

• Thread starter autobot.d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, This conversation is about homework statement X is independent of Y-\alpha X. However, due to the covariance matrix of W, X is not independent of Y.
autobot.d

Homework Statement

1. Show that [tex]X[/tex] is independent of [tex] Y- \alpha X [/tex]

where [tex]|\alpha| < 1 [/tex]

2. Find the joint distribution of F = X and G = X + Y

X,Y,G,F are random variables

Homework Equations

The vector [tex] W = (X, Y)^{t} [/tex] is a 2x1 multivariate Gaussian random vector with zero mean and covariance matrix equal to [tex]\Sigma[/tex], where [tex]\Sigma_{1,1}=1,\Sigma_{1,2} = \alpha, \Sigma_{2,1} = \alpha, \Sigma_{2,2} = 1.[/tex]

where [tex]|\alpha| < 1 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1.[tex] cov(X,Y- \alpha X) = E(XY)- \alpha E(X^{2}) - E(X)E(Y) + \alpha E(X)E(X) = E(XY) - \alpha E(X^{2}) = 0? [/tex]
This would prove what I want but cannot get the last two terms to zero. I figured if I got [tex]E(X^{2})=0[/tex] I could use Cauchy inequality to prove the other term is zero but I can't get there.

2. Not sure how to start. Any reference that you think might be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
autobot.d said:
1.[tex] cov(X,Y- \alpha X) = E(XY)- \alpha E(X^{2}) - E(X)E(Y) + \alpha E(X)E(X) = E(XY) - \alpha E(X^{2}) = 0? [/tex]
You canceled the wrong pair of terms in that last step, but it still won't lead to the desired answer.
You must have been told something about Y, but it cannot be simply that it is independent of X. E.g. you could set Y deterministic (always taking the same value) and Y-αX would then clearly not be independent of X.
If your 'relevant equations' are indeed relevant then X is a vector, so you need a slightly fancier form of the definition of covariance, involving transposes.

No terms were cancelled, X and Y have mean of zero.

And Y is not independent of X as indicated by the covariance matrix.

X is not a vector, sorry for the confusion, renamed vector to W.

That is all the information given.

Also it seems you are talking about using conditional expectation when you speak of being deterministic? Not sure how dependence is clear to you.

Your edit certainly cleared things up :approve:.
So I agree now with your expression for cov(X,Y−αX). What do you get if you write out the covariance matrix for W and plug in the given values?

How about this:

[tex] cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y) = E(XY) - 0 = E(XY) [/tex]
and
[tex] var(X) = E(X^{2}) - E(X)E(X) = E(X^{2}) - 0 = E(X^{2}) [/tex]

where

[tex] cov(X,Y) = \Sigma_{1,2} = \alpha [/tex]
and
[tex] var(X) = \Sigma_{1,1} = 1 [/tex]

and this make
[tex] cov(X,Y-\alpha X) = 0[/tex]
which implies independence.
Does this look right?

Thanks.

Awesome, thanks for the help. Now where might a good reference be for my second problem.

Is this thought process right?

1. Integrate Y to get the marginal of X to get F
2. Do convolution to get distribution of G = X+Y
3. How do I recover Joint distribution from marginals?

Are these the same X and Y as in the first part or arbitrary?

They are the same X and Y values.

1 and 2 are totally separate. There is another question about conditional expectation that goes with 2. but I think I can get that part with a little help on 2.

Thanks for the help.

autobot.d said:
They are the same X and Y values.

1 and 2 are totally separate.
Now I'm confused! If they are the same X and Y as in part 1, how can parts 1 and 2 be totally separate?

FAQ: Solve Bivariate Normal: X,Y,G,F Homework

1. What is the purpose of solving bivariate normal equations in X,Y,G,F homework?

The purpose of solving bivariate normal equations is to understand and analyze the relationship between two variables, X and Y, that follow a normal distribution. This is important in various fields of science, such as statistics, economics, and psychology, as it allows for the prediction and interpretation of data.

2. How is the bivariate normal distribution defined?

The bivariate normal distribution is defined as a probability distribution that describes the joint distribution of two variables, X and Y, that are both normally distributed. This means that the distribution of X and Y can be described by their means, variances, and correlation coefficient.

3. What are the steps for solving bivariate normal equations?

The steps for solving bivariate normal equations include determining the means and variances of X and Y, calculating the correlation coefficient between the two variables, and then using these values to find the probability of a specific event or range of values for X and Y.

4. Can bivariate normal equations be solved by hand or is software required?

Bivariate normal equations can be solved by hand, but it can be time-consuming and prone to errors. It is recommended to use software, such as statistical packages like R or Excel, to solve these equations as they provide more accurate and efficient results.

5. What are some real-life applications of bivariate normal equations?

Bivariate normal equations have various real-life applications, such as predicting stock prices in finance, analyzing the relationship between income and education level in economics, and studying the correlation between IQ and memory in psychology. They are also used in quality control and process improvement in manufacturing industries.