Solve Block Wedge Problem: Find Speed of Triangle Block

• Thread starter AnwaarKhalid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Wedge
In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed of a triangular block when a smaller block reaches the bottom end of the triangular block. The problem assumes frictionless surfaces and involves finding the common acceleration between the two blocks, ultimately leading to the equation v= {(2m^2ghcos^2x)/(M+m)^2}^(1/2) to determine the speed. The conversation also discusses using LaTeX to type equations.
AnwaarKhalid

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is placed on a triangular block of mass M, which in turn is placed on a horizontal surface as shown. Assume frictionless surfaces. Find the speed of triangular block when the small block reaches the bottom end,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've uploaded my attempt at a solution. Please, tell me where I did wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might actually have the right answer, but you need to rearrange algebraically to solve for whatever it is you are supposed to have. I'm sorry it is hard to make out the photograph, but do you know what it is supposed to be?

You've lost me with your very first equation. You need to define your variables if others are to follow your logic.
Is that Acom? Does that stand for the acceleration of the common mass centre of triangle+block? As a vector or in a specific direction?

haruspex said:
You've lost me with your very first equation. You need to define your variables if others are to follow your logic.
Is that Acom? Does that stand for the acceleration of the common mass centre of triangle+block? As a vector or in a specific direction?
Yes, that is acc. of the triangle as well as the block.

endoftimes said:
I think you might actually have the right answer, but you need to rearrange algebraically to solve for whatever it is you are supposed to have. I'm sorry it is hard to make out the photograph, but do you know what it is supposed to be?

Attachments

• IMG_1304-2.jpg
    IMG_1304-2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 403
AnwaarKhalid said:
Yes, that is acc. of the triangle as well as the block.
That only answered one of my questions. Anyway, I agree with the 'book' answer.
Reading an image of your handwritten working is too much of a struggle. Please take the trouble to type it in, preferably using LaTeX.

Common horizontal acc. of the blocks= (M+m)a= ma_x

haruspex said:
That only answered one of my questions. Anyway, I agree with the 'book' answer.
Reading an image of your handwritten working is too much of a struggle. Please take the trouble to type it in, preferably using LaTeX.
I'm sorry I do not know how to type using latex. Hope , these two images are clear enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 449
AnwaarKhalid said:
I'm sorry I do not know how to type using latex. Hope , these two images are clear enough.
I said preferably with LaTeX. It is not mandatory. Typing using subscripts and superscripts (see X2 and X2 in the toolbar) is good enough.

haruspex said:
I said preferably with LaTeX. It is not mandatory. Typing using subscripts and superscripts (see X2 and X2 in the toolbar) is good enough.
Common acc. of the masses = (M+m)acom=max
ax= gsinxcosx
Therefore, acom=mgsinxcosx\(M+m)
Now,
Tanx= h\BC
BC=h\tanx
Let the triangular block be displaced by x when the smaller block reaches the bottom end
Since there is no external force
Therefore,
Rcomi=Rcomf
M(BC/2) = M(BC/2 - x) + m(BC -x)
which gives,
x= mhcosx/(M+m)sinx
Now, using
v2 - u2= 2as
v={ (2m2ghcos2x)/(M+m)2 }1/2

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 418

FAQ: Solve Block Wedge Problem: Find Speed of Triangle Block

1. How do I approach solving the block wedge problem?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the block and wedge, labeling all the forces acting on them. Then, apply Newton's second law to determine the acceleration of the block.

2. What is the formula for finding the speed of the triangle block?

The formula for finding the speed of the triangle block is v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the block falls from.

3. What information do I need to know in order to solve the block wedge problem?

You will need to know the mass of the block and the angle of the wedge, as well as the coefficient of friction between the block and the wedge.

4. Can I use the same formula to find the speed of a square block?

No, the formula for finding the speed of the triangle block only applies to objects with a triangular shape. For a square block, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the dimensions and mass of the block.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement for the speed of the block?

The unit of measurement for the speed of the block will depend on the units used for the height (h) and the acceleration due to gravity (g). For example, if h is measured in meters and g is measured in meters per second squared, then the speed will be in meters per second (m/s).