Solve Calculus Problem: Minimal Time to Travel 12 km Down Shoreline

• Thread starter Jeebus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the person on the boat should travel by boat and by foot in order to arrive at their destination the shortest possible time. The function that describes the distance the person should travel down the shoreline is d(r). The graph of the function d is concave in the domain stated, meaning that as r gets closer to 36, the function becomes more and more concave. The optimal solution is found when d(r)=-2d and d(r)=-1.
Jeebus
I was in my Calculus class and a problem came up that I couldn't figure out. Our teacher wrote down a problem on the board to test us on the upcoming exam next week and he called upon us randomly, but no one got it. I thought I figured it out, but I was off. Hopefully you can help me here.

A person on a boat in a lake is 9 km from the shore and must go to a
point 12 km down the shoreline in the shortest possible time. The
person can walk 8 km per hour and the boat can travel r km per hour.

a) Assume that the person should travel by boat and by foot. Let d be
the distance down the shoreline the person should strike land for the
shortest total travel time. Write d as a function of r.

b) Sketch the graph of the function d(r). Determine the slowest speed
of the boat so the shortest possible time criterion is met by making
the entire trip by water. Use this to give the domain of the function
in the context of this problem.

c) Determine the concavity of the graph of the function d over the
domain stated in part b. What information does the concavity give about the relation between d and r?
Our class attempted this problem and wrote an equation based on the
given information. We took the derivative of our equation to find the
answer to part a, but the answer we arrived at was different from the
answer given in the book. Our answer was d=(r-36)/4, from the equation d(r) = r * sqrt(d^2+81) + 8(12-d). As stated, d is the distance down the shoreline where the person should strike land. Thus 12-d is the distance from the point where the person lands to his or her destination. Using the Pythagorean Theorem, we found the distance from the boat to the point where the person will land to be the square root of (d^2 + 81). The answer the book gave us is d(r) = 9r/sqrt(64-r^2).

I, (and the class can't figure out) or understand what we did wrong, and I hope someone will be able to help me for tomorrow since no one figured it out. Some got close, but no one got it completely.

Here is what I think:

I believe that we were writing d in terms of rate, not rate and time, so we need to get rid of the time component, right? Then time for the trip is t = sqrt(d^2+81)/r + (12-d)/8, right? So then you would differentiate it?

But then I get lost. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{d^2+81}}{r}+\frac{12-d}{8}[/tex]

Now, the derivative with respect to [tex]d[/tex]:

The derivative of the second term is clearly:
[tex]-\frac{1}{8}[/tex]
So that leaves the first term.
[tex]\frac{d}{dd}\frac{(d^2+81)^{\frac{1}{2}}}{r}
[/tex]
If you apply the chain rule, you get:
[tex]\frac{1}{r} 2d \frac{-1}{\sqrt{d^2+81}}[/tex]

So now, you need to solve:
[tex]0=\frac{-2d}{\sqrt{d^2+81}}-\frac{1}{8}[/tex]

Then you can check those solutions, and the endpoints to see which is the optimal solution

Thank you, NateTG I really appreciate you showing the steps. I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks again.

Related to Solve Calculus Problem: Minimal Time to Travel 12 km Down Shoreline

1. How do you determine the minimum time to travel 12 km down the shoreline?

To determine the minimum time, we need to use calculus to find the derivative of the distance function with respect to time and set it equal to zero. This will give us the critical points, which we can then substitute into the second derivative to determine if they are minimum points.

2. What factors affect the time it takes to travel down the shoreline?

The main factors that affect the time are the speed of the person traveling and the shape of the shoreline. The faster the person travels, the less time it will take. If the shoreline is straight, it will take less time compared to a shoreline with many curves.

3. Can you solve this problem without using calculus?

Yes, it is possible to solve this problem without using calculus. One way is to divide the distance of 12 km by the speed of the person, which will give you the time it takes to travel in a straight line. However, this method will not take into account any curves in the shoreline.

4. What is the significance of finding the minimum time to travel down the shoreline?

Finding the minimum time is important because it gives us the most efficient path to take down the shoreline. This can be useful for planning trips or determining the best route for a race. It also allows us to optimize our time and energy.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this calculus problem?

Yes, this problem has many real-life applications. For example, it can be used in navigation systems to determine the fastest route along a shoreline. It can also be applied in sports such as rowing or kayaking, where the goal is to travel a certain distance in the shortest amount of time.