Solve Cartesian and Polar Coordinates, Distance, and Direction Problems"

• Thread starter graffz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thank you
In summary, the first conversation involves determining the polar coordinates of two points in the xy plane with given Cartesian coordinates. The second conversation involves graphically determining the distance and direction from Lake B to the base camp, after flying from base camp to Lake A and then to Lake B. The third conversation involves finding the magnitude and direction of vector D, given two other vectors. The last conversation involves calculating the distance between two aircraft with given altitudes, horizontal distances, and directions.
graffz
1) Two points in the xy plane have Cartesian coordinates (1.00, -4.00) m and (-5.00, 5.00) m. Determine their polar coordinates @ (-5.00, 5.00)
r = ?
θ = ?

2) A plane flies from base camp to Lake A, 290 km away in the direction 20.0° north of east. After dropping off supplies it flies to Lake B, which is 230 km 30.0° west of north from Lake A. Graphically determine the distance and direction from Lake B to the base camp.
Distance = ?
Direction = ?

3) Given the vectors = 5.00 + 8.00 and = 3.00 - 2.00.
vector D
r =
θ =

I have absolutely no clue how to solve these, or where to begin. I don't have my book yet since it has not been delivered, and I don't mean to be a pest, but I really need help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
AND ANOTHER ONE, PLEASE.

An air-traffic controller observes two aircraft on his radar screen. The first is at altitude 850 m, horizontal distance 19.8 km, and 25.5° south of west. The second aircraft is at altitude 1000 m, horizontal distance 18.0 km, and 19.0° south of west. What is the distance between the two aircraft? (Place the x-axis west, the y-axis south, and the z axis vertical.)

I am happy to help you with these problems. Let's start by defining some terms and concepts that will be useful in solving these problems.

Cartesian coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using x and y coordinates. The x-coordinate represents the horizontal distance from the origin, while the y-coordinate represents the vertical distance from the origin.

Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a distance (r) and an angle (θ) to represent a point in a two-dimensional plane. The distance r is measured from the origin to the point, and the angle θ is measured from the positive x-axis in a counterclockwise direction.

Now, let's solve the first problem. We are given two points in the xy plane with Cartesian coordinates (1.00, -4.00) m and (-5.00, 5.00) m. To find their polar coordinates, we need to use the following formulas:

r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = tan^-1 (y/x)

Plugging in the values from the given points, we get:

r = √(1.00^2 + (-4.00)^2) = √(1 + 16) = √17 m
θ = tan^-1 (-4.00/1.00) = tan^-1 (-4) = -75.96°

Therefore, the polar coordinates of the point (-5.00, 5.00) m are (r, θ) = (√17 m, -75.96°).

Moving on to the second problem, we have a plane flying from base camp to Lake A, 290 km away in the direction 20.0° north of east. After dropping off supplies, it flies to Lake B, which is 230 km 30.0° west of north from Lake A. To find the distance and direction from Lake B to the base camp, we can use the following steps:

1. Draw a diagram representing the given information. Label the points A, B, and the base camp.

2. Use the law of cosines to find the distance from Lake B to the base camp. The law of cosines states that c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos(C), where c is the side opposite angle C. In this case, we want to find

Related to Solve Cartesian and Polar Coordinates, Distance, and Direction Problems"

1. What type of help do you need?

I am not sure what type of help you need. Can you please provide more specific information?

2. What is the urgency of your request?

I am not sure what the urgency of your request is. Can you please provide more details?

3. How can I assist you?

I am not sure how I can assist you without more information. Can you please provide more details?

4. What is the purpose of your request for help?

I am not sure what the purpose of your request for help is. Can you please provide more context?

5. Is there a specific deadline for your request?

I am not aware of any specific deadline for your request. Can you please clarify if there is one?