Solve Chemistry Problem: 3 NaOH Samples Found at Crime Scene

• Thread starter chemistryhelps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of three samples of NaOH found at a crime scene where a Canadian goose was killed. Each suspect had a different amount of NaOH solution, with varying concentrations and volumes. The purpose of the conversation was not to find the killer, but to understand the materials, procedure, data, and conclusion of the investigation. The hypothesis is that suspect 3 is the culprit based on the amount of NaOH he had. However, further calculations and information are needed to determine the true killer.
chemistryhelps
I will ask the teacher personally for further explanation (he was absent), but I would like to complete the homework prior to doing so, so I can get an idea of how to resolve this problem.

3 sample of NaOH are found at the scene of a crime. The sample used to kill the Canadian goose had a 2.0M (I assume its moles) concentration

suspect had 1 with her 160g of a 200 ml solution of soln of NaOH
suspect 2 500g of a 500 ml soln of NaOH
suspect 3 40 g of a 1L soln of NaOH

purpose? (not to find the killer)
material
procedure
data
conclusion

my hypothesis is that it is suspect 3

23+16+1= 40 g/mol (molarmass) * 2 mol of the sample = 80 g

first is only lacking 40g, not enough to kill,
second has all the grams
3rd lacks a lot of grams, maybe he didnt have the bottle full of the NaOH

Physics news on Phys.org
suspect had 1 with her 160g of a 200 ml solution of soln of NaOH
Hi chemistryhelps,

Don't you mean that when 200 ml of the solution was analyzed it was found to contain 160g of NaOH solid? If so, what molarity would that make it?

Was there a fourth sample at the scene, one of 2M and which allowed investigators to decide that was the concentration used to kill the bird?

Last edited by a moderator:
What an unusual question! I would start by calculating the concentrations of all three suspects. BTW, 2.0 M is two molar, not 2 moles.

FAQ: Solve Chemistry Problem: 3 NaOH Samples Found at Crime Scene

1. How can the presence of 3 NaOH samples at a crime scene be explained?

The presence of 3 NaOH samples at a crime scene can be explained by the fact that NaOH, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a commonly used chemical in many industries and households. It can be found in cleaning products, soaps, and even as a drain cleaner. Therefore, it is not surprising to find multiple samples of NaOH at a crime scene.

2. What are the potential uses of NaOH in a crime?

NaOH can be used in a crime in a variety of ways. It can be used to dissolve evidence, such as blood or other bodily fluids, as it is a strong base. It can also be used to clean up a crime scene, as it is a common ingredient in cleaning products. Additionally, it can be used to create a corrosive substance to harm or injure someone.

3. How can the concentration of NaOH in each sample be determined?

The concentration of NaOH in each sample can be determined using various chemical tests and techniques, such as titration. This involves adding a known amount of an acid to the sample and measuring the amount of acid needed to neutralize the base. The concentration can then be calculated using the volume and concentration of the acid.

4. Can the source of the NaOH samples be identified?

The source of the NaOH samples can potentially be identified by analyzing the chemical composition of the samples. Different manufacturers may use different impurities or additives in their products, which can be detected through chemical analysis. However, this may not always be possible if the samples are pure or if there are no unique impurities present.

5. How can the presence of NaOH be linked to a suspect?

The presence of NaOH at a crime scene can be linked to a suspect through various means. If the suspect has a history of using or purchasing NaOH, this can be used as evidence. Additionally, if the suspect has access to a facility or workplace where NaOH is commonly used, this can also be used as evidence. Chemical analysis of the samples and comparison to the suspect's known samples can also be used to link them to the crime scene.