Solve Chemistry Problem III: Find n in [Ni(NH3)n](NO3)2

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
The value I get is 5.09.In summary, to calculate the value of n in the formula [Ni(NH3)n](NO3)2, we take the mass of Ni2+ and find the moles of it using the molar mass, which would be the same as the moles of the complex. Then we divide the mass of the complex by this mole to get the molar mass, and subtract the molar masses of Ni2+ and (NO3)2 from it. The remaining value is divided by the molar mass of NH3 to determine the number of NH3 molecules present, which corresponds to the value of n. This calculation gives us a value of 5.09 for
higherme
Question:

Given
mass of hexaammine complex [Ni(NH3)6](NO3)2 is 0.0937 g
mass of Ni2+ is 0.0193 g

if the mass of [Ni(NH3)6](NO3)2 was 0.0886 g instead of 0.937g, this would indicate that the hexaammine complex was not pure and some ammonia had been lost. Calculate the value of n in the formula [Ni(NH3)n](NO3)2

my attempt:

- Take the mass of Ni2+ and find the moles of it using Ni2+ molar mass. This mole would then be the same as the moles of the complex (1:1 ratio) --> i found to be 0.0003288 moles

- then take the grams of the complex 0.0886 g and divide by that mole: 0.0886g/0.0003288moles = 264.4404 g/mol which would be the molar mass of the complex

- then i subtracted the molar masses of Ni2+ and (NO3)2 from that molar mass and what is left is the amount of (NH3)n. Then i took that amount and divided by the molar mass of one NH3 to see how many NH3 I have.

am I thinking right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are well on your way.

i keep getting the wrong answer...what am i doing wrong?

so here is what i did

0.0193g Ni x (1 mol Ni/58.693g) x (1mol [Ni(Nh3)6](NO3)2/ 1 mol Ni) = 3.288 E-4 moles of [Ni(Nh3)6](NO3)2

then i took 0.0886g and divide by this moles to get the molar mass
0.0886g/3.288 E-4 moles [Ni(Nh3)n](NO3)2
= 269.44 g/mol

then i substracted Ni (58.693g/mol) and (NO3)2 (124.008g/mol) from that molar mass
269.44 - 58.693 - 124.008
86.739 g/mol

then take this number and divide by (NH3) molar to see how many NH3 there are:
(86.739g/mol) / (17.031g/mol)
= 5.09 NH3

so n is equal to 5.09... this answer is still incorrect when i entered into the computer for grading ><

what am I doing wrong!?

did you enter 5 or 5.09? n should be a whole number

How many significant figures are you asked to provide? Generally you would use an integer value if you were trying to determine the empirical formula for a pure substance. In this case the sample may be a mixture of the hexamine, pentamine, etc... and so a non-integer value for n may be correct.

Related to Solve Chemistry Problem III: Find n in [Ni(NH3)n](NO3)2

1. How do I approach solving this chemistry problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to use the molar mass of each element and the molar mass of the compound. You will also need to use the formula for calculating the empirical formula (n = m/M), where n is the number of moles, m is the mass of the element, and M is the molar mass.

2. What information do I need to solve this problem?

You will need the molar mass of each element in the compound and the molar mass of the compound itself. You may also need to use the formula for calculating the empirical formula (n = m/M).

3. How do I calculate the molar mass of [Ni(NH3)n](NO3)2?

To calculate the molar mass, you will need to add the molar masses of each element in the compound. In this case, you will need to add the molar mass of Ni, NH3, and NO3, and then multiply by the number of each element present in the compound.

4. What is the purpose of finding n in this problem?

Finding n in this problem allows us to determine the empirical formula of the compound. This formula tells us the simplest whole number ratio of elements present in the compound, which is important for identifying and understanding the structure and properties of the compound.

5. Can I use any other method to solve this problem?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this problem, such as using the mole concept and the ideal gas law. However, using the formula for calculating the empirical formula is the most straightforward and efficient method for this specific problem.