Solve Circle Radius Given Trapezoid Height & Length

In summary, Jeppe is trying to calculate the length of a circle using formulas that he has tried before but is unable to do so. He has drawn a horizontal blue line through the points where the lines $h_1$ and $h_2$ meet the circle and is able to use Pythagoras to get the equation $$(r-h_1)^2 + l_1^2 = r^2.$$ After a bit of algebra (expanding those brackets), the equations reduce to $$h_1^2 - 2rh_1 + l_1^2 = 0,\qquad (*)$$ $$h_2^2 - 2rh_2 + l_1^2 + 2l
Jeppe1
I don't know if this can be calculated.
I have tried for hours and days to isolate/calculate the radius and angles of the circle in order to be able to calculate length 1. I have tried using cos/sin-relation formulas and triangle formas - but Iam stuck. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. The task is one i have put on my self for cutting out a wooden plate. I have made the cut - but by approximation :-)

View attachment 3333

Attachments

• Can this be calculated.JPG
    Can this be calculated.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 75
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Jeppe,

Unfortunately, without more information, the four unknowns cannot be determined.

Draw horizontal lines through the points where the lines $h_1$ and $h_2$ meet the circle. That will give you a pair of right-angled triangles. You can then use Pythagoras to get the equations $$(r-h_1)^2 + l_1^2 = r^2,$$ $$(r-h_2)^2 + (l_1+l_2)^2 = r^2.$$ After a bit of algebra (expanding those brackets), the equations reduce to $$h_1^2 - 2rh_1 + l_1^2 = 0,\qquad (*)$$ $$h_2^2 - 2rh_2 + l_1^2 + 2l_1l_2 + l_2^2.$$ Subtract the first of those equations from the second: $$h_2^2 - h_1^2 - 2r(h_2 - h_1) + 2l_1l_2 + l_2^2 = 0.$$ Solve that for $l_1$: $$l_1 = \frac{(h_2 - h_1)(2r - h_1 - h_2) - l_2^2}{2l_2}.$$ Substitute that expression for $l_1$ into the equation labelled (*) and you will have a quadratic equation (admittedly quite a messy one) for $r$ in terms of $h_1$, $h_2$ and $l_2$.

Edit (@Euge): I am assuming that the horizontal blue line is meant to be tangential to the circle. That should determine the configuration, shouldn't it?

Opalg said:
Edit (@Euge): I am assuming that the horizontal blue line is meant to be tangential to the circle. That should determine the configuration, shouldn't it?

Yes, in that case it does. We would then have $\tan \phi_1 = \frac{\ell_1}{r-h_1}$ and $\tan (\phi_1 + \phi_2) = \frac{\ell_1 + \ell_2}{r-h_2}$, so then

\(\displaystyle \tan \phi_2 = \frac{\tan (\phi_1 + \phi_2) - \tan \phi_1}{1 + \tan (\phi_1 + \phi_2) \tan \phi_1} = \frac{(r - h_2)\ell_1 - (r - h_1)(\ell_1 + \ell_2)}{(r - h_1)(r - h_2) + \ell_1(\ell_1 + \ell_2)}.\)

Since $r$ and $\ell_1$ have been determined, it now follows that the entire configuration is determined.

Wow - that was fast ! - I will get working on the quadratic!
Thanks and thanks again! - best forum and page ever :)

FAQ: Solve Circle Radius Given Trapezoid Height & Length

What is the formula for finding the radius of a circle given the height and length of a trapezoid?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle given the height and length of a trapezoid is:
r = √(h * l / π), where r is the radius, h is the height of the trapezoid, l is the length of the trapezoid, and π is the mathematical constant pi.

Can the radius of a circle be negative when using this formula?

No, the radius of a circle cannot be negative when using this formula. The square root of a negative number is undefined, so any negative values in the formula would result in an error.

Can this formula be used to find the radius of any circle given a trapezoid?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the radius of any circle given a trapezoid, as long as the height and length of the trapezoid are known. This formula is based on the relationship between a circle and a trapezoid, so it can be applied to any trapezoid-circle pair.

What units should be used for the height and length when using this formula?

The units used for the height and length in this formula should be consistent. For example, if the height is measured in inches, then the length should also be measured in inches. This will ensure that the radius is calculated correctly and in the correct units.

Are there any other methods for finding the radius of a circle given a trapezoid?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the radius of a circle given a trapezoid. One method is to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the circle's diameter, which can then be divided by 2 to find the radius. Another method is to use the area of the trapezoid and the circumference formula (C=2πr) to solve for the radius.

Back