Solve Complex Integral: \oint \frac{f(z)}{z^{2}+1}dz

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of an integral involving a circle centered at 2i with a radius r. The homework equations and Cauchy's integral formula are mentioned as possible tools for finding a solution. The attempt at a solution involves splitting the answer into different cases, but there is some uncertainty about the case where the curve passes through a singularity.
strangequark

Homework Statement

Let [tex] \gamma_{r} [/tex] be the circle centered at 2i with a radius r. Compute:

[tex]\oint \frac{f(z)}{z^{2}+1}dz [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]2 \pi i f(w)=\oint \frac{f(z)}{z-w}dz[/tex]

Cauchy's integral formula... maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see how to find solutions for two separate cases:

0<r<1
0<r<3
r>3

I have no idea how to find a general formula for this... nor am I sure what to do when [tex]\gamma[/tex] passes thru a singularity...

any help on how to get started would be MUCH appreciated... thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If the curve passes through the singularity then it's really only defined in the principle value sense. I wouldn't worry about that case. But you are doing it right. You have to split the answer into cases, not write on big formula.

Related to Solve Complex Integral: \oint \frac{f(z)}{z^{2}+1}dz

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves the integration of complex functions, which are functions that have complex numbers as their inputs or outputs. It is similar to a regular integral, but the integration is done along a complex path instead of a real interval.

2. How do you solve a complex integral?

To solve a complex integral, you need to use the techniques of complex analysis, which include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, Cauchy's integral theorem, and Cauchy's integral formula. These techniques involve manipulating complex functions and integrating along complex paths to find the value of the integral.

3. What is the purpose of the function f(z) in the complex integral \oint \frac{f(z)}{z^{2}+1}dz?

The function f(z) represents the complex function that is being integrated. It can be any complex function, and its purpose is to determine the value of the integral along the complex path. The function f(z) is often chosen based on the specific problem or application being solved.

4. Why does the denominator of the integrand include z^2 + 1 in the complex integral \oint \frac{f(z)}{z^{2}+1}dz?

The denominator of the integrand includes z^2 + 1 because it is the complex path that is being integrated along. The complex path is a circular path in the complex plane, and z^2 + 1 represents the equation of this path. This is necessary for accurately solving the complex integral using complex analysis techniques.

5. When is a complex integral useful in real-world applications?

A complex integral is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is often used to solve problems involving complex systems, such as electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and financial modeling. It can also be used to calculate quantities such as work, energy, and probability in these systems.