Solve Complex Integral: Residual Calculus?

In summary: You forgot to include the sin(theta) in the first line. If you substituted that in, you would get ##r^2 \sin(\theta)dr \, d \theta \, d\phi##. This is what is written in the original equation. Then in the last line you integrate the imaginary part of this equation.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

I have an integral of the form:

0exp(ax+ibx)/x dx
What is the general method for solving an integral of this kind.

Homework Equations

Maybe residual calculus?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Residues sound like the only way. However, make sure you are using ##e^{-z}/z##; with a positive exponent your integral will not converge.

I don't see how it's going to converge no matter what a is. It's also divergent near x=0.

Dick said:
I don't see how it's going to converge no matter what a is. It's also divergent near x=0.
So true. Wish I had read the lower limit as 0 instead of 1. Can I blame it on bad eyesight?

I need it to converge badly. But I know what mistake I made. I wanted the integral to be the imaginary part of the above. At least I think so. I have attached the whole exercise now as pdf. Is it correct what I have done so far and how do I evaluate the integral?

Attachments

• FT.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:
aaaa202 said:
I need it to converge badly. But I know what mistake I made. I wanted the integral to be the imaginary part of the above. At least I think so. I have attached the whole exercise now as pdf. Is it correct what I have done so far and how do I evaluate the integral?

It all looks incorrect. You wanted to integrate something like ##\exp(-cr)/r \, \exp(ikr\ cos(\theta))## over ##R^3## in spherical corrdinates. The volume element in spherical coordinates is not ##dr \, d\theta \, d\phi##; it is ##r^2 \sin(\theta)\, dr \, d \theta \, d \phi##.

Right, I wrote that in a rush I can see. So basically I forgot the sin(theta) in the first line but it should be there or I couldn't make the substitution dcos(theta). Also the r^2 should be there and 1/r I forgot too so I would end up with having to integrate the imaginary part of r times the expression on the last line. But still with that, I don't see how I can solve that integral.

aaaa202 said:

Your final integral is "elementary" and is the type of thing you learned to do in Calculus 101. Look at it again.

Related to Solve Complex Integral: Residual Calculus?

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is an extension of the concept of a regular integral, which is used to calculate the area under a curve in the real number plane. Complex integrals are useful in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is residual calculus?

Residual calculus is a method used to solve complex integrals. It involves using the residue theorem, which states that the value of a complex integral can be calculated by summing the residues of singular points within the contour of integration. Residual calculus is a powerful tool in solving complex integrals, especially those that are difficult to evaluate using traditional methods.

3. What makes solving complex integrals challenging?

There are several factors that can make solving complex integrals challenging. One of the main challenges is dealing with the complex numbers themselves, which can be more difficult to manipulate than real numbers. Additionally, some complex integrals may have singular points within the contour of integration, which requires the use of techniques such as residual calculus.

4. What are some applications of solving complex integrals?

Complex integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields. They are used in physics to calculate quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, and in engineering to analyze systems with complex variables. They are also used in mathematics to solve problems related to complex functions and differential equations.

5. Are there any tips for solving complex integrals?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help make solving complex integrals easier. First, it is important to be familiar with the properties of complex numbers and functions. Additionally, understanding the geometry of the contour of integration can help in choosing the appropriate method for solving the integral. Finally, practice and experience are key in becoming proficient in solving complex integrals.