Solve Complex Numbers & Euler's Formula Problems - 65 Characters

• Thread starter SammC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems involving complex numbers and Euler's formula. The first problem involves converting a complex number from rectangular coordinates to polar form, while the third problem asks for the conversion of cos(wt + f) into the sum of complex exponentials. The fifth problem involves computing the powers of complex numbers using both rectangular representation and complex exponentials. Finally, the last problem asks for the expression of four cosine functions as complex exponentials and the sum of all of them. The conversation also touches upon the benefits of using complex exponentials over the (a+bi) form.
SammC
Theres a couple problems I am working on that involve complex numbers or euler's formula.
e^+-(ix) = cos(x) +- isin(x)

-----------------------
1. A complex number can be written in rectangular coordinates as z = x+ jy. Write the relations to calculate the
polar form, z = (r,theta) or z = re^(j*theta) .

For this one I am more confused about what he's asking or how to show the work... i think
r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
and
theta = tan^-1(y/x)

But I'm not really sure if that's what he's looking for

-----------------------
3. Convert cos(wt + f) into the sum of complex exponentials.
Now i know that cos(x) = (e^(ix) + e^-(ix))/2

Is this as simple as replacing x with (wt + f)?

------------------------
5. Compute [(1+ i*sqrt(3))/2]^2 and (1 + j)^4
a) directly (using rectangular representation)
b) using complex exponentials

How do i go about this for both of these approaches, I am not entirely sure how to do either approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1 and 3 it seems you are on the right track.

For 5, a) directly using the rectangular representation means just multiplying it out, and b) using complex exponentials means converting the numbers to their complex exponential form and then raising them to the powers.

Evidently 5 is intended as an object lesson in how much nicer it is to exponentiate the complex form compared to the (a+bi) form, even though most students who are first encountering Euler's formula are much more comfortable with the more standard algebraic method because it's just grinding coefficients.

Okay.. so I'm a little stuck on 5b...
[1 + i * sqrt(3)/2]^2

would i do:

r = sqrt[1^2 + (sqrt(3)/2)^2]
theta = tan^-1[(sqrt(3)/2)/1]

= [r * e ^ (i * theta)] ^ 2

I just tried working 5b through for (1+I)^4:

r = sqrt(1^2 + 1^2) = sqrt(2)
theta = tan^-1(1/1) = pi/4

... so

(1 + i)^4 = [sqrt(2) * e^(i*pi/4)] ^ 4

apply euler's...

= (sqrt(2) * [cos(pi/4) + i * sin(pi/4)])^4

..simplify

= (sqrt(2) * [sqrt(2)/2 + i * sqrt(2)/2])^4

..multiply

= (1 + i)^4

..well... duh.

I think my approach might be wrong.
--------------------------------------
EDIT
figured it out:

(1 + i)^4 = [sqrt(2) * e^(i*pi/4)] ^ 4
= sqrt(2)^4 * e^(4i*pi/4)
= 4 * e^(i*pi)
= 4*-1
=-4

Last edited:
One last thing

x1(t) = 5cos(400pi*t +0.5pi)
x2(t) = 5cos(400pi*t -0.25pi)
x3(t) = 5cos(400pi*t +0.4pi)
x4(t) = 5cos(400pi*t - 0.9pi)

I need to express each of those as complex exponentials.. then express the sum.. the only way i know how to do that is to use the fact that
cos(x) = [e^(i*x)+ e^-(i*x)]
and make x = 400pi*t +0.5pi.. etc

which gives me four really long equations.. which seems like it can't possibly be right for what is being asked. At the very least tehre has to be a better way to express the sum of all of them?

Related to Solve Complex Numbers & Euler's Formula Problems - 65 Characters

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit.

2. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates the trigonometric functions cosine and sine to the complex exponential function. It is written as e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit.

3. How do you solve complex number problems?

To solve complex number problems, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use Euler's formula to convert complex numbers to polar form, which makes it easier to perform these operations.

4. What are some applications of complex numbers and Euler's formula?

Complex numbers and Euler's formula have many applications in math and science, including in electrical engineering, signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in the study of fractals and in solving differential equations.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane called the complex plane. The real part of the number is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships.

Back