Solve Complicated Integral: 4+ 8/πx +O(x²) at x→0

• Thread starter wel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integral of a function and how it can be simplified using integration by parts. It is noted that this method can be complicated due to a large exponential term, but by considering the case when x is very small, a suitable expansion of the exponential function can be made, resulting in a simpler integral. The conversation then suggests an alternative method of using a power series expansion to simplify the integral.
wel
Gold Member
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I(x)=\int^{2}_{0} (1+t) e^{xcos[\pi (t-1)/2]} dt
\end{equation}
show that
\begin{equation}
I(x)= 4+ \frac{8}{\pi}x +O(x^{2})
\end{equation}
as $$x\rightarrow0.$$

=> Using integration by parts, but its too complicated for me because of huge exponential term.
please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that you are only to consider the case when x is very small, tending to zero. This means you can make a suitable expansion of the exponential function, leaving a much simpler integral.

CAF123 said:
Notice that you are only to consider the case when x is very small, tending to zero. This means you can make a suitable expansion of the exponential function, leaving a much simpler integral.

Or maybe do this:
$$I=I(0)+I'(0)x+O(x^2)$$
:rolleyes:

FAQ: Solve Complicated Integral: 4+ 8/πx +O(x²) at x→0

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What does the notation "x→0" mean?

"x→0" indicates that the value of x is approaching 0. In this context, it means that we are looking at the behavior of the integral as x gets closer and closer to 0.

3. How do you solve a complicated integral?

Solving a complicated integral involves applying various techniques and rules from calculus, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It also requires a good understanding of algebra and manipulation of equations.

4. What does "O(x²)" mean in the given integral?

"O(x²)" is the notation for the Big O notation, which is used in mathematics to describe the limiting behavior of a function. In this context, it means that as x approaches 0, the integral will behave similarly to a quadratic function with a coefficient of x².

5. Can this integral be solved analytically?

Yes, this integral can be solved analytically by applying the above-mentioned techniques and rules. However, the process may be complex and time-consuming, so it is often more efficient to use numerical methods or software to approximate the solution.

Back