Solve Counting Problem: How Many Students Left Unfinished?

In summary, there are 33 students who have not completed at least one homework. This can be determined using the Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion with a Venn diagram. The number of students who have completed all three homework assignments is represented by x, and the number of students who have only completed the first assignment is represented by y. By setting up equations based on the given information, it is determined that y = x - 25, and therefore 33 students have not completed any homework.
haki

Homework Statement

There are 285 math students. First homework was completed by 166 students, second by 148 and third by 129. First and second was completed by 108 students, first and third by 83 and second and third by 25 students. How many students have not completed at least one homework?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Principle of Inclusion-Exclusion would be useful here.

Hmmm...well it looks like the answers at least one, because you haven't :p I am stumped

I can't see what your attempt at a solution is. However, the use of a Venn diagram would work well.

How annoying, I have put my Venn diagram on the picture yet it cannot be displayed. Anyway I get -25 + x for people who have just solved the first problem and 25 - x as the intersection of 2nd and 3rd homework. How can I get a negative value on the diagram? I get that 58 are missing a homework or 58 have completed all of the 3 homeworks. Do we need one extra data or is the trick in the negative number I get on the Venn diagram?

Last edited:
can you give me the answer please...

How would "giving you the answer" help you? (Has Haki metamorpized into yamini?)

Haki said:
How annoying, I have put my Venn diagram on the picture yet it cannot be displayed. Anyway I get -25 + x for people who have just solved the first problem and 25 - x as the intersection of 2nd and 3rd homework. How can I get a negative value on the diagram?
You appear to have "lost a sign". In your Venn diagram, you have let x be the (unknown) number of people who did all three asignments. Since 108 did the first and second assignments, yes, 108- x must have done ONLY the first and second. Since 83 people did the first and third assignments, yes, 83- x must have done ONLY the first and third. If you let y= the number of people who did only the first assignment, then y+ (108-x)+ (83- x)+ x= 166. That is, y+ 191- x= 166 so y= x- 25, NOT 25- x.

HallsofIvy said:
How would "giving you the answer" help you? (Has Haki metamorpized into yamini?)

That is, y+ 191- x= 166 so y= x- 25, NOT 25- x.

I would know if my reasoning is correct. Who is yamini?

y = x - 25; by law of something y can be written as y = - 25 + x, take a look at my diagram I have it like that NOT like 25 + x.

Guess it only makes sense if the number is non-nengative, thefore 25 have completed all 3 homeworks for number of people who have done just homework 1 not to be negative and also the number of people who have done just 2nd and 3rd homework not be negative aswell. Therefore 33 people haven't done a single homework?

i m yamini here.the venn diagram is not getting enlarged,so for the sake of that i was asking you the answer and anyways i was not solving the sum using venn diagram,i was using some other method.so to know whether my answer is correct or not i have asked for answer and if u feel like i have done any mistake in asking answer then please say me..

FAQ: Solve Counting Problem: How Many Students Left Unfinished?

1. How do you approach the counting problem of unfinished students?

To solve a counting problem, it is important to first understand the question and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. In this case, we would need to determine what qualifies as an "unfinished" student and how to accurately count them.

2. What factors should be considered when solving this counting problem?

When solving a counting problem, it is important to consider the variables or factors that may affect the outcome. For example, in this problem, we would need to consider factors such as the total number of students, the number of students who have completed the task, and any other criteria that determine an "unfinished" student.

3. What methods can be used to solve this counting problem?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a counting problem, such as using diagrams, tables, or equations. It is important to choose a method that best suits the problem and helps organize the data in a clear and logical way.

4. Can technology be used to solve this counting problem?

Yes, technology can be a useful tool in solving counting problems. For example, spreadsheets or programming languages can help automate the counting process and make it more efficient. However, it is still important to understand the problem and choose the appropriate method before using technology.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my solution to this counting problem?

One way to check the accuracy of your solution is to use a different method or approach to solve the problem. This can help identify any errors or inconsistencies in the data. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure they align with the given criteria and assumptions.

Back