Solve DE Involving Limits: y' - 2y = t^2e^2t

• Thread starter ehabmozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the general solution of the given differential equation, y' − 2y = t2e2t, is y(t)= t3e2t/3 + ce2t. As t approaches infinity, all solutions of this equation increase at an exponential rate due to the dominance of the exponential term. The constant C does not affect this behavior, as it would only result in a reflection on the x-axis. Therefore, the solutions will shoot up towards positive infinity as t increases, regardless of the value of C.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the given differential equation, and use it to determine how
solutions behave as t→∞.

a) y' − 2y = t2e2t

Homework Equations

DE

The Attempt at a Solution

After doing the linear DE steps I end up getting y(t)= t3e2t/3 + ce2t. Now I have a problem in getting the limit. The book says the 'It is
evident that all solutions increase at an exponential rate.' Now, my doubt is how would it increase. Or what makes us sure that it will increase? The first part indeed goes to infinity but the second part has a c which can either be positive or negative. So we can end up getting infinity - infinity. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
y(t)= t3e2t/3 + ce2t. Now I have a problem in getting the limit. The book says the 'It is evident that all solutions increase at an exponential rate.'

Assuming that you have found the general solution, note that both terms have exponentials with positive exponents for t>0 - the exponential dominates the t^3, so the solution increases exponentially as t-> infinity.

Excuse me sir, but I found this an irrelevant reply. I kept on mentioning the constant C. With examples, consider C to be -5 the limit would then be NEGATIVE INFINITY as t gets larger. But in cases such as C being 6 the answer goes to POSITIVE INFINITY. WHy is that the book mentions only the shooting UP!

ehabmozart said:
y(t)= t3e2t/3 + ce2t.

Spend some time looking at the expression that you have ...

y(t)=(t^3/3 +C)exp(2t)

Does the value of C matter at all?

Well, if C is NEGATIVE, then yes it will matter. The first half definitely goes to positive infinity. But the second half would go to Negative inifinity since exp(2t) shoots up, this negative C can simply reflect this on the x-axis and it is negative infinity?

What is the limit as t-> infinity for this expression: (t^3/3 +C)?

In this case it is infinity because C comes after a plus sign unsupported with any exponential or something. What would be the limit then for the expression (t^3/3 + Ct^3/3). Consider the case where C is negative.

Your assertion is incorrect - are you clear how limits work?

ehabmozart said:
Excuse me sir, but I found this an irrelevant reply. I kept on mentioning the constant C. With examples, consider C to be -5 the limit would then be NEGATIVE INFINITY as t gets larger. But in cases such as C being 6 the answer goes to POSITIVE INFINITY. WHy is that the book mentions only the shooting UP!

His answer is not irrelevant; it is 100% accurate and gives you exactly all you need. Perhaps you do not understand the issues, but that is a separate matter, and one that YOU need to address.

For example, suppose C = -5. Then ##C + t^3/3 = t^3/3 - 5 \geq 1## if ##t \geq 18^{1/3} \doteq 2.6207##; that is, if ##t \geq 2.6207##, ##y(t) \geq e^{2t}##. Does this go to ##+\infty## as ##t \to + \infty##?

Suppose C = -5,000,000. Then ##C + t^3/3 = t^3/3 - 5000000 \geq 1## if ##t \geq 100 \times 15^{1/3} \doteq 246.6212##. So, if ##t \geq 246.6212##, ##y(t) \geq e^{2t}##. Does this go to ##+\infty## as ##t \to + \infty##?

Last edited:

FAQ: Solve DE Involving Limits: y' - 2y = t^2e^2t

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical or mathematical phenomena, such as the rate of change of a population or the motion of objects.

2. What is a limit in a differential equation?

A limit in a differential equation refers to the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value of the function at a specific point or to analyze the overall behavior of the function.

3. How is a differential equation involving limits solved?

To solve a differential equation involving limits, we use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its initial conditions.

4. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation contains only first derivatives, while a second-order differential equation contains second derivatives.

5. How can limits be used to solve differential equations?

Limits are used in differential equations to determine the values of unknown constants and to check for the existence and uniqueness of solutions. They are also used to evaluate the behavior of the function at specific points and to analyze the behavior of the function as a whole.

Back