Solve ##\dfrac{1}{x}<4##
Relevant Equations
Inequalities
##\dfrac{1}{x}<4##

For ##x>0##:

##1<4x \Rightarrow x>\dfrac{1}{4}##

For ##x<0##:

##1<4x \Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{4}<x \Rightarrow x<-\dfrac{1}{4}##

But the problem is ##x<0## works in the original expression instead of just ##x<-\dfrac{1}{4}##, so from calculations alone I missed ##[-\dfrac{1}{4}, 0)##. I feel conceptually I'm not understanding inequalities or my calculations are wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you multiply both sides by a negative valued x, the inequality flips direction.

##4x<1##.

You also didn't handle what comes after that very well in your attempt- if you did believe ##1/4<x## then there would be no solutions since x has to be negative. Think through carefully what the next step needs to be here.

Sometimes it helps to say if we're assuming x is negative, replace it with -y and assume y is positive.

Likes docnet
I'm getting confused from assuming ##x<0##, because doing the calculation results in ##x<\dfrac{1}{4}##, which by itself means ##x## is positive in ##[0,\dfrac{1}{4})##. But I think I'm starting to understand I must keep in mind the starting assumption ##x## is negative, so ##x<0## is a fixed condition, despite the calculation ending up showing ##x<\dfrac{1}{4}##.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
RChristenk said:
I'm getting confused from assuming ##x<0##, because doing the calculation results in ##x<\dfrac{1}{4}##, which by itself means ##x## is positive in ##[0,\dfrac{1}{4})##. But I think I'm starting to understand I must keep in mind the starting assumption ##x## is negative, so ##x<0## is a fixed condition, despite the calculation ending up showing ##x<\dfrac{1}{4}##.
If we choose any ##x## in ##(-\infty,0)##, it is true that ##x## is in ##(-\infty,1/4)##. The latter condition does not contradict the first condition. Does this help?

Last edited:
docnet said:
If we choose any ##x## in ##(-\infty,0)##, it is true that ##x## is in ##(\infty,1/4)##. The latter condition does not contradict the first condition. Does this help?
Yes I understand better now. Thank you.

Likes docnet
RChristenk said:
Yes I understand better now. Thank you.
The second interval should be ##(-\infty,1/4)##, not ##(\infty,1/4)##! Sorry about the typo, I'm very tired and it somehow got past me.

RChristenk said:
That's good. The equation tells you that AT LEAST ##x\lt \dfrac{1}{4}##. But that was with the additional assumption that ##x \lt 0##. So both must be true. So ##x \lt 0## for this case.

Another thing to be careful about with inequalities is reversibility of the inference.
Showing that ##1/x<4## and ##x<0## leads to ##x<1/4## does not of itself prove that ##x<0## and ##x<1/4## implies ##1/x<4##.