Solve Direction of Impulse: Linear Momentum & Force

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude of impulse exerted on a ball in the x direction after it strikes the ground, using the principle of linear impulse and momentum. The person asking the question initially made a mistake in determining the direction of the force, but it was clarified that the impulse is negative and the direction of the force is opposite to the direction initially taken as positive. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the magnitude of the impulse is the main focus, rather than the direction.
jtmbii
This should be a quick question. I'm not understanding the overall concept of impulse/force direction very well. I appreciate your help.

Homework Statement

The 0.5kg ball strikes the rough ground and rebounds wit the velocities as shown. Determine the magnitude of the impulse the grounds exerts on the ball in the x direction. Assume that the ball does not slip when it strikes the ground, ,and neglect the size of the ball and the impulse produced by the weight of the ball.

Homework Equations

Principle of Linear Impulse and Momentum:
gif.latex?mv_1%20-%20%5Csum%20%5Cint_%7Bt_1%7D%5E%7Bt_2%7DF_x%20dt%20%3D%20mv_2.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with the following
25cos45%29%20+%20%5Csum%20%5Cint_%7Bt_1%7D%5E%7Bt_2%7DF%20dt%20%3D%20%280.5%29%2810cos30%29.gif

then got F = -4.509 N
I then realized that impulse should be in the negative direction(?) Thus, to get a positive value of force like the answer in the book, the equation should be:
29%2825cos45%29%20-%20%5Csum%20%5Cint_%7Bt_1%7D%5E%7Bt_2%7DF%20dt%20%3D%20%280.5%29%2810cos30%29.gif

Is this correct? But I cannot understand why. Time is scalar so impulse direction should depend on the direction of the force (?) Though how am I supposed to tell this direction? To me, it looks like the force is positive in the x direction before it hits the ground, and after. This is why I am confused. I want to understand this more visually. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 2.31.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 2.31.30 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,236
Physics news on Phys.org
jtmbii said:
Is this correct? But I cannot understand why. Time is scalar so impulse direction should depend on the direction of the force (?) Though how am I supposed to tell this direction? To me, it looks like the force is positive in the x direction before it hits the ground, and after. This is why I am confused. I want to understand this more visually. Thank you.
You were right the first time. The impulse is negative (the momentum decreases), meaning the force is opposite to the direction you took as positive. No big deal. All you care about is the magnitude anyway.

Doc Al said:
You were right the first time. The impulse is negative (the momentum decreases), meaning the force is opposite to the direction you took as positive. No big deal. All you care about is the magnitude anyway.
Momentum decreases. I see. Thank you so much for this.

Related to Solve Direction of Impulse: Linear Momentum & Force

What is the direction of impulse?

The direction of impulse is the same as the direction of the force applied. It follows the law of action and reaction, where for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does linear momentum affect the direction of impulse?

Linear momentum is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction. The direction of impulse is determined by the change in linear momentum, which is in the same direction as the applied force.

What is the relationship between force and direction of impulse?

The direction of impulse is directly proportional to the direction of the force applied. This means that the direction of the impulse will change if the direction of the force changes.

Can the direction of impulse be negative?

Yes, the direction of impulse can be negative. This occurs when the force and change in momentum are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for impulse.

How does the direction of impulse affect the motion of an object?

The direction of impulse determines the change in momentum of an object, which in turn affects its motion. A greater impulse in a specific direction will result in a larger change in momentum and therefore a more significant effect on the object's motion.

Back