Solve ∫(e^x)/(√4-e^(2x)) w/ arcsin of x

In summary, to make the coefficient of a square root equal to 1, you can factor out the coefficient and then use the rule that the square root of a product is equal to the square root of each factor multiplied together.
ralfsk8

Homework Statement

∫(e^x)/(√4-e^(2x))

Homework Equations

arcsin of x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how the problem should be solved and have an idea of what the final answer will be. My only question is, how would I take out the four from the square root, in order to make it a 1? Can I just pull out 1/4?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
ralfsk8 said:

Homework Statement

∫(e^x)/(√4-e^(2x))

Homework Equations

arcsin of x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how the problem should be solved and have an idea of what the final answer will be. My only question is, how would I take out the four from the square root, in order to make it a 1? Can I just pull out 1/4?

Thank You

Yep. If you have [tex]\sqrt{4a+b}[/tex] then in order to make the coefficient of a equal to 1, just factor out a 4 and then use the rule that [itex]\sqrt{ab}=\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}[/itex] so we'll have

[tex]\sqrt{4a+b}[/tex]
[tex]=\sqrt{4(a+b/4)}[/tex]
[tex]=\sqrt{4}\sqrt{a+b/4}[/tex]
[tex]=2\sqrt{a+b/4}[/tex]

Related to Solve ∫(e^x)/(√4-e^(2x)) w/ arcsin of x

1. What is the purpose of solving this integral?

The purpose of solving this integral is to find the anti-derivative or indefinite integral of the given function. This can be used to find the area under the curve of the function and can be applied in various scientific and mathematical contexts.

2. What is the general approach to solving this type of integral?

The general approach to solving this type of integral is to use substitution. In this case, we can let u = e^x and du = e^x dx. This will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the significance of using arcsin in this integral?

The significance of using arcsin in this integral is that it helps to transform the function into a more manageable form. By using the substitution mentioned in the previous question, we can express the function in terms of arcsin and then apply the appropriate integration techniques.

4. Is there a specific range of values for x that needs to be considered when solving this integral?

Yes, when solving this integral, we need to consider the range of values for x that will result in a real and finite answer. In this case, we need to make sure that the value inside the square root is not negative or equal to 4, as this will result in an undefined answer.

5. Can this integral be solved using any other methods besides substitution?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using partial fractions or integration by parts. However, in this particular case, substitution is the most straightforward and efficient method to solve the integral.