Solve Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors & General Solution for X'=AX

In summary, the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalue are found and the general solution is found.
shamieh
Consider the system $x'_1 = x_1 + 2x_2$ and $x'_2 = 3x_1 + 2x_2$

If we write in matrix from as $X' = AX$, then

a) $X =$

b) $X' =$

c) $A =$

d) Find the eigenvalues of **A**.

e) Find eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalue. Indicate which eigenvector goes with which eigenvalue.

f) Write the general solution to the system.

g) Find the specific solution that satisfies the initial conditions $x_1(0) = 0$ and $x_2(0) = -4$

**Ok so here are my solutions so far**

a) $X = \vec{X} = (^{x_1}_{x_2})$

b) $X' =$ \begin{bmatrix} (1-\lambda) & 2 \\ 3 & (2-\lambda) \end{bmatrix}

c) $A =$ \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 2 \end{bmatrix}

d) $\lambda_1 = -1$ and $\lambda_2 = 4$

e,f,g) **Please Help!** Not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance. ( I also need someone to verify that my answers are correct).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shamieh,

For b) you should have $X'=(^{x_1'}_{x_2'})$.
Your other answers are correct.

For e) you need to solve $(-I - A)X = 0$ respectively $(4I -A)X = 0$.
These equations should lead to infinitely many solutions, which are actually lines.
You need to find a vector on each line, which are the eigenvectors.

Serena, I am kind of uncertain on how to do that. Do you mean that I should do this? $(-I - A)X =$ \begin{bmatrix} -2 & -3 \\ -4 & -3 \end{bmatrix} ?

I am a little uncertain on how to apply $(-I - A)X$

shamieh said:
Serena, I am kind of uncertain on how to do that. Do you mean that I should do this? $(-I - A)X =$ \begin{bmatrix} -2 & -3 \\ -4 & -3 \end{bmatrix} ?

I am a little uncertain on how to apply $(-I - A)X$

What we have is:
$$(-I-A)X = \left(\begin{bmatrix}-1&0\\0&-1\end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix}1&2\\3&2\end{bmatrix}\right)X
=\begin{bmatrix}-2&-2\\-3&-3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{bmatrix}
= 0$$

The standard way to solve such an equation is with Gausssian elimination, also known as row reduction.
Are you familiar with that process?

So now would I get
$-2x_1 - 2x_2 = 0$
$-3x_1 - 3x_2 = 0$

shamieh said:
So now would I get
$-2x_1 - 2x_2 = 0$
$-3x_1 - 3x_2 = 0$

Yes. Can you solve it?
That is, find at least one non-zero solution, considering that any multiple will also be a solution?

So I'm thinking that $x_1 = 1$ & $x_2 = -1$ because $3x_1 + 3x_2 = 0$ ?

shamieh said:
So I'm thinking that $x_1 = 1$ & $x_2 = -1$ because $3x_1 + 3x_2 = 0$ ?

Yep. You've found the eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -1.

So my first vector will be $v_1 = e^{-t} (^1_{-1}) = (^{e^{-t}}_{-e^{-t}})$ ?

Also does \begin{bmatrix} stuff && stuf \\ morestuf && mrstuf \end{bmatrix} and $(^s_x)$ both mean the same thing ? Are they both implying Matrices or is the parenthesis implying something different? I've noticed some people use them interchangeably and some people not. I noticed that parenthesis are used in sets $(^n_k)$

shamieh said:
So my first vector will be $v_1 = e^{-t} (^1_{-1}) = (^{e^{-t}}_{-e^{-t}})$

You seem to be jumping ahead, and it's not quite correct yet.

The eigenvector for $\lambda=-1$ is $(^{1}_{-1})$.
This is the first half of the answer to e).

So finally I have: $v_1 = 1$ , $v_2 = -1$ so $eigenvector_1 =$ \begin{bmatrix} e^{-t} \\ -e^{-t} \end{bmatrix} and $w_1 = 2$, $w_2 = 3$ so $eigenvector_2 =$ \begin{bmatrix} 2e^{4t} \\ 3e^{4t} \end{bmatrix}

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I get what your saying. The eigenvector corresponding to $\lambda_1$ is $(^1_{-1})$

shamieh said:
Also does \begin{bmatrix} stuff && stuf \\ morestuf && mrstuf \end{bmatrix} and $(^s_x)$ both mean the same thing ? Are they both implying Matrices or is the parenthesis implying something different? I've noticed some people use them interchangeably and some people not. I noticed that parenthesis are used in sets $(^n_k)$

More or less. The first two both signify matrices, although the second is really a vector that just might be interpreted as a matrix. However, the notation $\binom n k$ usuaĺly denotes binomium or combination, which is something completely different.

so that means that the second eigenvector corresponding with $\lambda_2$ is going to be ($ ^{2e{4t}}_{3e^{4t}}$)

shamieh said:
so that means that the second eigenvector corresponding with $\lambda_2$ is going to be ($ ^{2e{4t}}_{3e^{4t}}$)

No. The eigenvector is not a function of t.
Those functions only come in the later questions.

so for part f) finding the general solution would it just be $X(t) = C_1 (^2_3)e^{4t} + C_2 (^1_{-1})e^{-t}$ ?

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
No. The eigenvector is not a function of t.
Those functions only come in the later questions.

So then how do I write the final solution for part e) ?

and for g) I got $X(t) = -4/5 (^2_3) e^{4t} - 8/5(^1_{-1})e^{-t}$

shamieh said:
So then how do I write the final solution for part e) ?

The second part is that the eigenvector for $\lambda=4$ is $\binom 2 3$.
shamieh said:
so for part f) finding the general solution would it just be $X(t) = C_1 (^2_3)e^{4t} + C_2 (^1_{-1})e^{-t}$ ?

and for g) I got $X(t) = -4/5 (^2_3) e^{4t} - 8/5(^1_{-1})e^{-t}$

Looks good! (Nod)

Related to Solve Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors & General Solution for X'=AX

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent how a linear transformation stretches or compresses a vector. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that remain in the same direction after the transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors used to solve equations like X'=AX?

In equations like X'=AX, the matrix A represents the coefficients of the variables in the system of equations. By finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A, we can express the solution to the equation as a linear combination of the eigenvectors, using the eigenvalues as coefficients.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, we first need to find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. We then solve for the roots of this polynomial, which will give us the eigenvalues. Finally, we use the eigenvalues to find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving a system of equations.

4. Can you have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, it is possible to have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This occurs when the characteristic polynomial of the matrix has complex roots. In this case, the eigenvectors will also be complex numbers.

5. What is the general solution for X'=AX?

The general solution for X'=AX is a linear combination of the eigenvectors of A, where the coefficients are determined by the corresponding eigenvalues. This can be expressed as X(t) = c1e^(λ1t)v1 + c2e^(λ2t)v2 + ... + cn e^(λnt)vn, where λ1, λ2, ..., λn are the eigenvalues and v1, v2, ..., vn are the corresponding eigenvectors.