Solve Electrical Circuit Problem: Find Forced Response Vx

In summary, this conversation discussed a circuit consisting of an independent current source, a dependent current source, and a capacitor. The independent current source provided a signal of i_s(t)= \sqrt{2} cos(4t), while the dependent current source was equal to gV_x, where i_s(t)g = 0.5. The goal was to find the forced response of the voltage across the capacitor, V_x. However, there was some confusion about how to approach the problem. It was concluded that the equations must be expressed in either the frequency or time domain, rather than mixing the two.
EugP

Homework Statement

I don't have access to a scanner so I will just say it, it's simple.

An independent current source pointing up, in parallel with a dependent current source pointing up, in parallel with a capacitor. The independent current is providing the signal:

[tex]i_s(t)= \sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

The dependant current source is equal to:

[tex]gV_x[/tex], where [tex]i_s(t)g = 0.5[/tex].

Lastly, [tex]C = 0.125 F[/tex], and has voltage [tex]V_x[/tex] across it.

I need to find the forced response of [tex]V_x[/tex], which is the voltage across the capacitor.

The answer is : [tex]V_x = 2cos(4t-135\degree)[/tex], but I don't know how they got it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both current sources are pointing up, I added them to get a single current source in parallel with a capacitor:

[tex]\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + gV_x[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x[/tex]

Now to find [tex]V_x[/tex], I just multiplied that by the impedance of the capacitor:

[tex]V_x = (\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x)(\frac{1}{j\omega C})[/tex]

[tex]V_x = (\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x)(\frac{1}{j0.5})[/tex]

[tex]V_x = (\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x)(\frac{2}{j})[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{2\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + V_x}{j}[/tex]

[tex]jV_x - V_x = 2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

[tex]V_x(j - 1) = 2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)}{j-1}[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)}{j-1} \frac{j+1}{j+1}[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{j2\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + 2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)}{1+1}[/tex]

[tex]V_x = j\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here. Could someone please tell me where I need to go from here to get the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
EugP said:

Homework Statement

I don't have access to a scanner so I will just say it, it's simple.

An independent current source pointing up, in parallel with a dependent current source pointing up, in parallel with a capacitor. The independent current is providing the signal:

[tex]i_s(t)= \sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

The dependant current source is equal to:

[tex]gV_x[/tex], where [tex]i_s(t)g = 0.5[/tex].

Lastly, [tex]C = 0.125 F[/tex], and has voltage [tex]V_x[/tex] across it.

I need to find the forced response of [tex]V_x[/tex], which is the voltage across the capacitor.

The answer is : [tex]V_x = 2cos(4t-135\degree)[/tex], but I don't know how they got it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both current sources are pointing up, I added them to get a single current source in parallel with a capacitor:

[tex]\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + gV_x[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x[/tex]

Now to find [tex]V_x[/tex], I just multiplied that by the impedance of the capacitor:

[tex]V_x = (\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x)(\frac{1}{j\omega C})[/tex]

[tex]V_x = (\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x)(\frac{1}{j0.5})[/tex]

[tex]V_x = (\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \frac{1}{2}V_x)(\frac{2}{j})[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{2\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + V_x}{j}[/tex]

[tex]jV_x - V_x = 2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

[tex]V_x(j - 1) = 2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)}{j-1}[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)}{j-1} \frac{j+1}{j+1}[/tex]

[tex]V_x = \frac{j2\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + 2\sqrt{2} cos(4t)}{1+1}[/tex]

[tex]V_x = j\sqrt{2} cos(4t) + \sqrt{2} cos(4t)[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here. Could someone please tell me where I need to go from here to get the answer?

You are mixing values in the time domain (the current from the source) with values in the frequency domain (the impedance of the capacitor). You must express your equations in only one domain.

CEL said:
You are mixing values in the time domain (the current from the source) with values in the frequency domain (the impedance of the capacitor). You must express your equations in only one domain.

So what do I need to do in order to finish the problem?

EugP said:
So what do I need to do in order to finish the problem?

Either you write all equations in the frequency domain, where [tex]cos\omega t = \omega[/tex] or you write everything in the time domain, where [tex]v_c(t)=v_c(0)+\frac{1}{C} \int_{0}^{t} i_c(\tau)d\tau [/tex]

CEL said:
Either you write all equations in the frequency domain, where [tex]cos\omega t = \omega[/tex] or you write everything in the time domain, where [tex]v_c(t)=v_c(0)+\frac{1}{C} \int_{0}^{t} i_c(\tau)d\tau [/tex]

Oh now I understand. Thanks.

Related to Solve Electrical Circuit Problem: Find Forced Response Vx

1. What is the purpose of solving electrical circuit problems?

Solving electrical circuit problems allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of electrical systems, which is crucial for designing and troubleshooting devices and systems that rely on electricity.

2. What is the forced response in an electrical circuit?

The forced response in an electrical circuit is the behavior of the circuit when an external input, such as a voltage or current source, is applied. It is the response of the circuit to this input and is usually different from the natural response of the circuit.

3. How do you find the forced response Vx in an electrical circuit?

To find the forced response Vx in an electrical circuit, you can use techniques such as the superposition theorem or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve solving the circuit equations and determining the specific values of the voltage or current at a particular point in the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the forced response in an electrical circuit?

The forced response in an electrical circuit can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and frequency of the input signal, the type and values of the components in the circuit, and the initial conditions of the circuit (e.g. voltage or current at specific points).

5. Why is it important to find the forced response in an electrical circuit?

It is important to find the forced response in an electrical circuit because it allows us to predict the behavior of the circuit when an external input is applied, which is crucial for understanding and designing systems that rely on this circuit. It also helps us identify any potential issues or problems in the circuit and determine the best course of action for troubleshooting or improving its performance.