Solve Electricity Numericals with Expert Help: Hydrogen Discharge Example

• Thread starter saltrock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of gas ionisation when a high voltage is applied between two electrodes. It also includes a numerical problem involving the movement of electrons and protons in a hydrogen discharge, and a question about the direction of current. The conversation ends with a suggestion to post the homework question in the appropriate section for help.
saltrock
electricity numericals! help needed!

When a sufficiently high voltage is applied between two electrodes in a gas, the gas ionises. Electrons move towards the positive electrodes,and positive ions move towards the negative electrode.

a) what is the current in a hydrogen discharge if, in each second, 4.4 x 10^15 electrons and 1.5x 10^15 protons move in opposite directions past a cross-section of the tube?
b)what is the direction of the current? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a homework problem.

Tell us what your thoughts are on the problem.

a) Start with Q=I x t
You should know the charge on an electron.

b) Look up 'Conventional Current flow'.

c) Post HWK in the HWK help section.

thanx for your help.

No problem.

:-)

FAQ: Solve Electricity Numericals with Expert Help: Hydrogen Discharge Example

1. How do I calculate the power in an electrical circuit?

To calculate the power in an electrical circuit, you can use the formula P=VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches. In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout, while in a parallel circuit, the current splits up between the branches.

3. How can I calculate the resistance in a circuit?

The formula for calculating resistance is R=V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. You can also use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the ratio of voltage to current.

4. What is the unit for measuring electrical power?

The unit for measuring electrical power is the watt (W). Other commonly used units include kilowatts (kW) and megawatts (MW).

5. How can I determine the efficiency of an electrical device?

The efficiency of an electrical device is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100%. This will give you a percentage, with 100% being the ideal efficiency. Efficiency can also be calculated as (energy output/energy input) x 100%.

Back