Solve Equation for b in Mathematica | Step-by-Step Guide

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter mutogenic01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving the variables a, m, F, n, t, and c. The person is asking for help in finding a function in Mathematica that can solve the equation for b, as they are not familiar with the program. The expert suggests trying a numerical solution using NSolve or a similar function.
mutogenic01
Hi everybody.
I have this equation

c=(m/b)(a-(F/b))exp(-btn/m)(1-exp(-bt/m))^2 where;

a=0.14
m=4.3
F=1.88
n=integer (1-5000)
t=0.1
c=2x[(n+1)t]-x[(n+2)t]-x[nt] --- the value for x at a particular n is obtained from a graph

I have to solve for b. I have tried to solve this equation using Mathematica using the `Solve` command but there was a warning about the expression non in algebraic way.

Is there anybody out there who have any idea what function I can use in Mathematica to solve this equation? It seems easy because the only unknown is b. But I am not familiar with Mathematica so I still can`t solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not entirely clear (I am not sure I understand your notation).

When Mathematica tells you that, it means that it can't find a way to express the answer in analytical form as a function of the variables you gave it. But you can always try for a numerical solution, using NSolve or similar (there's something like Root or NRoot, but I don't have mathematica handy right now).

Hello,

To solve this equation for b in Mathematica, you can use the `NSolve` command. This command is used for numerical solutions of equations and can handle more complex equations like the one you have provided. The syntax for `NSolve` is as follows:

NSolve[equation, variable, initial guess]

In your case, the equation is the one you have provided, the variable is b, and the initial guess can be any number. So the command would look like this:

NSolve[c == (m/b)(a-(F/b))Exp[-b*t*n/m](1-Exp[-b*t/m])^2, b, 1]

This will give you the numerical solution for b. You can also use `FindRoot` command to get the same result.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

Related to Solve Equation for b in Mathematica | Step-by-Step Guide

What is Mathematica and what is it used for?

Mathematica is a symbolic mathematical computation software developed by Wolfram Research. It is used for a variety of tasks including mathematical calculations, data analysis, visualization, and creating interactive documents.

How do I get started with using Mathematica?

To get started with using Mathematica, you can either purchase the software or use the free trial version. You can then follow the tutorials and documentation provided by Wolfram Research to learn the basics of using Mathematica.

What are the key features of Mathematica?

Some key features of Mathematica include its ability to perform symbolic and numerical computations, manipulate equations and functions, create visualizations, and work with data sets. It also has a large library of built-in functions and the ability to create interactive documents and presentations.

How can I get help with using Mathematica?

If you need help with using Mathematica, you can refer to the documentation provided by Wolfram Research or join online communities and forums where users share their knowledge and experiences with the software. You can also contact Wolfram Support for technical assistance.

Can Mathematica be used for other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, Mathematica has a wide range of applications and can be used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering. It can also be used for data analysis and machine learning tasks.