Solve Final Velocity & Time for Train Traveling 200m

In summary, the problem involves a train with an initial speed of 35.0 km/h on a straight, level track. It has a uniform acceleration of 1.50 m/s sq while traveling a distance of 200 m. The first part of the problem asks for the train's speed at the end of the distance, which can be solved using the equation Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax. The second part asks for the time it took the train to travel the distance, which can be found using the equation Vf = Vo + at. Alternatively, the given formulas \Delta v = a \Delta t and \Delta s = \frac12 a (\Delta t)^2 + v_0 \
tcharger130

Homework Statement

A train on a straight, level track has an initial speed of 35.0 km/h. A uniform acceleration of 1.50 m/s sq is applied while the train travels 200 m. (a) What is the speed of the train at the end of the distance? (b) How long did it take for the train to travel the 200m?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I dropped into this physics class late and I don't know how to properly derive the formula I think I need. I converted 35km/h to 14m/s but I don't know a formula to use now.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The two formulas for a motion with uniform acceleration (a = constant) are
[itex]\Delta v = a \Delta t[/itex]
and
[itex]\Delta s = \tfrac12 a (\Delta t)^2[/itex]

where [itex]\Delta v[/itex] and [itex]\Delta s[/itex] are the change in velocity and covered distance, respectively, during a time [itex]\Delta t[/itex].

but i don't have time?

your start is good, you decided to convert the speed from km/h to m/s,im not sure how you did it but it was not correct, to convert from km/h to m/s just multiply that number with (1000/3600) to get it in m/s..

For first part :

It is asking for final velocity and you are given the initial velocity , the acceleration and the distance , you can use this equation:
Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax

Then when you get Vf you can easily get the time using this equation:

Vf = Vo + at

tcharger130 said:
but i don't have time?

No, but you can calculate it.
Look what you've got, you are given [itex]\Delta s[/itex] and a. That allows you to use the second formula to find [itex]\Delta t[/itex]. Then you can use that result in the first formula to calculate the increase in velocity.

Of course, you can also directly use the formulas given by bigstar, which are derived from the two I gave. Personally I prefer doing it my way, because I need to remember less equations :)[edit]
Actually the second formula should be
[tex]\Delta s = \frac12 a (\Delta t)^2 + v_0 \Delta t[/tex]
where v0 is the initial velocity. The one I gave earlier applies for v0 = 0, i.e. when you accelerate from rest (which is not the case here).

Related to Solve Final Velocity & Time for Train Traveling 200m

1. How do I calculate the final velocity of a train traveling 200m?

To calculate the final velocity of a train traveling 200m, you can use the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is usually 0 for a stationary train), a is the acceleration (usually given or can be calculated using other known values), and s is the distance traveled (in this case, 200m). Simply plug in the known values and solve for v.

2. What is the time it takes for a train to travel 200m?

The time it takes for a train to travel 200m can be calculated using the formula t = √(2s/a), where t is the time, s is the distance traveled, and a is the acceleration. If the acceleration is not given, you can use the formula t = s/v, where s is the distance and v is the final velocity (which can be calculated using the first formula).

3. How does the mass of the train affect the final velocity and time?

The mass of the train does not directly affect the final velocity and time for a given distance. However, the mass can indirectly affect the acceleration, which will then affect the final velocity and time. A heavier train will require more force to accelerate, resulting in a slower final velocity and longer time to travel a certain distance.

4. Can the final velocity and time of a train be affected by external factors?

Yes, the final velocity and time of a train can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and incline of the track. These factors can impact the acceleration and therefore, affect the final velocity and time. Additionally, external factors such as wind or slope can also directly affect the speed of the train and change the final velocity and time.

5. How can I use this calculation to determine the distance traveled by a train?

You can use this calculation to determine the distance traveled by a train by rearranging the formula to s = (v^2 - u^2)/2a. With the known values of initial and final velocity, and acceleration, you can solve for the distance traveled. Alternatively, if you are given the time instead of the final velocity, you can use the formula s = ut + 1/2at^2 to calculate the distance traveled.