Solve for Image Location and Magnification in Concave Mirror | Homework Help

• Thread starter Jonah14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, the problem involves finding the location of an image using the mirror equation and a ray diagram. After drawing a ray diagram and using the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, the solution is found to be -12 cm. The solution can also be verified using the equation m = hi/ho = -di/do. A diagram can also be drawn to better understand the problem.
Jonah14

Homework Statement

"An object is 4.0 cm in front of a concave mirror having a 12.0-cm radius. Locate the image using the mirror equation and a ray diagram."

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di where f = Focal Length, do = Distance Object, di = Distance Image

m = hi/ho = -di/do where m = Magnification, hi = Height of Image, ho = Height of Object

The Attempt at a Solution

f = 6 cm
do = 4.0 cm
Ho = ?
di = -12
Hi = ?
C = 12

I got 1/6 = 1/di + 1/4
1/6 - 1/4 = 1/di
Which equaled -12

Hi/Ho = -(-12)/4
Usually I knew Hi or Ho to get the answer but I don't know it this time!
Can anyone help me with this seemingly easy problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you found the answer, you just need d this time and show where it is.

Now then also probably want a diagram there, just to test your understanding of the geometry of the problem.

Ok, first of all you need to find the image, so you need to draw your ray diagram.

I wish I could post an image for this, but physicsforums won't let me (you can only link to one), which is a little lame.

But if you draw a concave mirror, then the focal point, where will be the image compared to it?

Then draw the image as a perpendicular arrow going up (your book must show this somewhere). Now you just need to draw three rays:
1. Draw a ray going straight to the mirror from the top of the arrow you drew (perpendicular to the arrow you drew as well). The rule of this ray is that it will bounce to the focal point, so when it hits the mirror, draw a straight line from there to the focal point

2. Draw a ray that goes from the top of the arrow through the focal point of the mirrror. The rule for this ray is that once it hits the mirror, it bounces back parrallel to the ground.

3. Draw a ray that goes from the top of the arrow you drew again, but this time going to the center of the mirror. The rule for this one is that you draw a line coming back at the same angle is came in, but downwards

With these three lines you have, elongate them until they intersect. They may intersect in front of or behind the mirror, so you must elongate them both ways. Where they intersect is the top part of the new arrow you will draw perpendicular to the ground, your image.

Aah, I'll just draw an example which will be simpler. Use this as a guideline to solve yours.
NeYPv.jpg

And now, for your problem, where is the image located, is it contestant #1, #2, #3?

JgQog.jpg

I would first commend the student for attempting to use the appropriate equations and for recognizing that they are missing some information in order to solve the problem. I would then provide the following response:

It seems like you are on the right track with your equations. In order to solve for the image location and magnification, you will need to know either the height of the object or the height of the image. This information can be obtained by drawing a ray diagram, which will show the path of light rays as they reflect off the concave mirror. By tracing the rays and measuring the distances, you can determine the height of the image or the height of the object.

Once you have this missing information, you can plug it into your equations and solve for the image location and magnification. Remember to pay attention to the signs of the distances, as they can determine whether the image is real or virtual and upright or inverted.

In addition, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure your final answer makes sense. For example, the image location should be a negative value since it is located behind the mirror, and the magnification should be a negative value if the image is inverted.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in using scientific principles to solve problems!

FAQ: Solve for Image Location and Magnification in Concave Mirror | Homework Help

1. What is the difference between convex and concave mirrors?

Convex mirrors bulge outwards and have a reflecting surface that curves away from the observer. Concave mirrors, on the other hand, have a reflecting surface that curves towards the observer. This results in different properties and uses for each type of mirror.

2. How does the curvature of a mirror affect the image formed?

The curvature of a mirror affects the size, orientation, and location of the image formed. Convex mirrors produce virtual, upright, and diminished images, while concave mirrors can produce both virtual and real images depending on the location of the object.

3. What is the focal length of a curved mirror?

The focal length of a curved mirror is the distance from the mirror to the point where all the reflected light rays converge or appear to diverge from. For convex mirrors, the focal length is always negative, while for concave mirrors, it can be either positive or negative.

4. How do you calculate the magnification of an image formed by a curved mirror?

The magnification of an image formed by a curved mirror is calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. For concave mirrors, the magnification can be positive or negative depending on whether the image is upright or inverted, respectively. For convex mirrors, the magnification is always positive and less than 1.

5. What are some practical applications of curved mirrors?

Curved mirrors have many practical applications, including in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. Convex mirrors are commonly used in security and surveillance systems, while concave mirrors are used in headlights and makeup mirrors. They are also used in solar power plants to concentrate sunlight and in reflecting telescopes to gather and focus light from distant objects.

Back