Solve for Tension in A-Shaped Ladder

• Thread starter TastyTyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, we have a uniform A-shaped ladder with a mass of 12.0 kg standing on a frictionless surface with only the crossbar keeping it from collapsing. To determine the tension in the crossbar, we must first calculate the torque by considering the weight of one half of the ladder acting at the center of mass and the reaction force from the floor. Then, we divide the torque by the vertical distance from the crossbar to the pivot point to determine the tension in the crossbar.
TastyTyr
Torque HELP!

:bugeye: The drawing shows an A-shaped ladder. Both sides of the ladder are equal in length. This ladder is standing on a frictionless horizontal surface, and only the crossbar (which has a negligible mass) of the "A" keeps the ladder from collapsing. The ladder is uniform and has a mass of 12.0 kg. Determine the tension in the crossbar of the ladder.
This is what I did:
I took gravity and multiplied by 1.00 m and then multiplied by cos 75. I didvided this value by 4.00m*sin 75...I'm completely wrong help!
[(9.8)(1)(cos 75)]/[(4)(sin75)
The picture is attached***

Attachments

• ladder picture.gif
    ladder picture.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 747
Likes jagen
Physics news on Phys.org
I took gravity and multiplied by 1.00 m.
This is not correct.

The pivot point is at the apex of the ladder. The weight acts at the feet attempting to spread the legs apart at the base - moment arm = 4 feet.

The cross brace is 1 ft from the ends, but 3 feet from the pivot point.

Concentrate on the left or right side of the ladder and ignore the other side.

The vertical reaction from the floor has to support the weight of that half of the ladder. The weight of the ladder half acts vertically down, and as the ladder is uniform, the weight can be treated as a single force half way up the ladder.

Now you calculate the horizontal separation of the foot of the ladder from the center of the one half of it and you have a force and a distance; that gives you the torque.

Then to get the tension in the crossbar, you divide that torque by the vertical distance from the crossbar to the pivot point (the top of the ladder).

FAQ: Solve for Tension in A-Shaped Ladder

1. How do I calculate the tension in an A-shaped ladder?

In order to calculate the tension in an A-shaped ladder, you will need to use the equation T = Wsinθ, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the ladder, and θ is the angle between the ladder and the ground.

2. What are the factors that affect the tension in an A-shaped ladder?

The factors that affect the tension in an A-shaped ladder include the weight of the ladder, the angle between the ladder and the ground, and the length and material of the ladder.

3. Can I use the same equation to calculate the tension in any type of ladder?

Yes, the equation T = Wsinθ can be used to calculate the tension in any type of ladder, as long as the ladder is in equilibrium and the angle θ is known.

4. How can I ensure that the tension in my A-shaped ladder is within a safe range?

To ensure that the tension in your A-shaped ladder is within a safe range, you should calculate the maximum weight that the ladder can hold before it breaks. This can be done by using the equation T = Wsinθ and solving for W, the weight. Then, make sure that the weight of the ladder and the person on it does not exceed this calculated maximum weight.

5. Is there a recommended angle for the A-shaped ladder to maintain a safe tension?

Yes, there is a recommended angle for the A-shaped ladder to maintain a safe tension. The angle between the ladder and the ground should be between 60-75 degrees for optimal tension and stability.

Back