Solve for θ and Time: Projecting a Particle at 30 m/s

In summary, a particle is projected at 30 m/s from the foot of a plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal. The particle hits the plane at an angle perpendicular to the plane. Using the equations of motion, it is possible to find the value of the angle of projection and the time taken to reach the point of impact by solving simultaneous equations.
|mathematix|

Homework Statement

A particle is projected at 30 m/s from the foot of a plane which is inclined at 30o to the horizontal. The particle hits the plane at an angle perpendicular to the plane.
Find the value of the angle of projection θ and the time taken to reach there.

Homework Equations

x=30tcosθ , and y=30tsinθ-5t^2 , where (x,y) are the coordinates of the point of impact and θ is the angle of projection, inclined with the horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a diagram: http://i.imgur.com/FfTwTD7.png
So if the projected particle hits the hill at 90o then y/x=1/√3 and the velocity will be at 120o to the horizontal so y'/x'=-√3
I solved these two equations simultaneously and I got θ=-60 but this looks wrong because it doesn't make sense.
Please help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi |mathematix|! :smile:
|mathematix| said:
So if the projected particle hits the hill at 90o then x/y=1/√3 and the velocity will be at 120o to the horizontal so x'/y'=-√3

shouldn't |y'| be larger than |x'| ? :confused:

Yes, I fixed it :(

is your answer ok now? :confused:

if not, show us your full working, so we can see what went wrong :smile:

I did the working using the correct values but I got -60 degree for theta. I can't post the full solution now because it would take time and I have to study english now so I will re do it and see if I get a better answer.
I basically substituted the equations of motion into y/x=1/√3 and y'/x'=-√3 and then solved them simultaneously, found theta and substituted back to find the time, is that the correct approach?

|mathematix| said:
I basically substituted the equations of motion into y/x=1/√3 and y'/x'=-√3 and then solved them simultaneously, found theta and substituted back to find the time, is that the correct approach?

yes! :smile:

FAQ: Solve for θ and Time: Projecting a Particle at 30 m/s

1. What is the equation used to solve for θ and time when projecting a particle at 30 m/s?

The equation used is: θ = arctan(vy/vx) and t = 2vxsin(θ)/g, where θ is the angle of projection, vy is the vertical velocity, vx is the horizontal velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity when solving for θ and time?

The initial velocity is given as 30 m/s in this problem. However, if it is not given, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the initial velocity, which is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical velocities.

3. Can the equations be used for any initial velocity and angle of projection?

Yes, the equations can be used for any initial velocity and angle of projection, as long as the initial velocity is known and there is no air resistance affecting the motion of the particle.

4. What units should be used for the initial velocity and time?

The initial velocity should be in meters per second (m/s) and the time should be in seconds (s).

5. How accurate are the results obtained from using these equations?

The results obtained from using these equations are relatively accurate, assuming there is no air resistance and the initial velocity is known with precision. However, external factors such as air resistance and human error may affect the accuracy of the results.