Solve for x in this logarithm question

• Thread starter tpent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation log2(x3)-3= 2log2x by expanding x to the power of 3 to the log, moving all log terms to one side, and adding 3 to both sides. The solution is x = 8. A check is also provided to confirm the solution.
tpent

Homework Statement

log2(x3)-3= 2log2x

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I start by expanding the x to the power 3 to the log which then makes it 3log2x? or am I totally off track?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tpent said:

Homework Statement

log2(x3)-3= 2log2x

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I start by expanding the x to the power 3 to the log which then makes it 3log2x? or am I totally off track?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
That's a good start. Then move all your log terms to one side and add 3 to both sides.

x=8 ?

Yes. Here's the check (which you could have done for yourself):

If x = 8, the left side is log2(83) - 3 = 3log2(8) - 3 = 3*3 - 3 = 9 - 3 = 6.
The right side is 2 log2(8) = 2*3 = 6.

thank you god bless

Related to Solve for x in this logarithm question

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is used to solve for the exponent in an exponential equation. In other words, it tells you what power you need to raise a base number to in order to get a given result.

How do you solve for x in a logarithm question?

To solve for x in a logarithm question, you can use the exponentiation property of logarithms. This states that logb(x) = y is equivalent to by = x. In other words, you can rewrite the logarithm as an exponential equation and solve for x.

What are the common bases used in logarithms?

The most commonly used bases in logarithms are 10, e (Euler's number), and 2. Logarithms with base 10 are called common logarithms, while those with base e are called natural logarithms. Logarithms with base 2 are used in computer science and information theory.

Can you solve for x if the logarithm has a different base than the number?

Yes, you can still solve for x even if the base of the logarithm is different than the number. You can use the change of base formula which states that logb(x) = loga(x) / loga(b). This allows you to convert the logarithm to a different base and solve for x.

Are there any restrictions when solving for x in a logarithm question?

Yes, there are some restrictions when solving for x in a logarithm question. The argument (the number inside the parentheses) of the logarithm must be a positive real number. Additionally, the base of the logarithm must be a positive real number that is not equal to 1. If these conditions are not met, the logarithm is undefined and cannot be solved for x.