Solve Force and Tension for Masses in Inclined Plane System | Newton's Laws

In summary, the figure shows a box of mass 2.60 kg on a frictionless plane inclined at an angle of 33 degrees and connected by a cord of negligible mass to a box of mass 4.00 kg on a horizontal frictionless surface. If the magnitude of horizontal force is 2.3 N, the tension in the connecting cord is .
jedjj

Homework Statement

The figure (attached (5-56))shows a box of mass m2 = 2.60 kg on a frictionless plane inclined at angle θ = 33°. It is connected by a cord of negligible mass to a box of mass m1 = 4.00 kg on a horizontal frictionless surface. The pulley is frictionless and massless.

(a) If the magnitude of horizontal force is 2.3 N, what is the tension in the connecting cord?

(b) What is the largest value the magnitude of may have without the cord becoming slack?

Homework Equations

Newton's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately this is the part of physics where I became lost in high school and I am having a difficult time putting everything together.

So the first thing that I did was set up axes for each. I set m1 as a normal x and y coordinate system, and m2 with a tilted x-y coordinate system (attached FBD).
So first I attempted to find w2 because that should help me find tension.

[tex]\sum F_x=m_2*a_x[/tex]
[tex]T-w_{x2}=m_2*a_x[/tex] \\w in the x direction of mass 2
[tex]w_{x2}=-2.6*sin(33)[/tex]
I should use this to solve for [tex]a_x[/tex]?

moving on to m1
[tex]\sum F_x=m_1*a_x[/tex]
[tex]T+F=m_1*a_x[/tex]
Do I plug in for a_x because if I do, then I have a T on both sides, in a place that wouldn't be easy to solve?

And even where I am at I believe I have made a huge mistake. I am having problems understanding this. Please help me.

Attachments

• 5-56.gif
    5-56.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 467
  • FBD.JPG
    FBD.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
jedjj said:
[tex]\sum F_x=m_2*a_x[/tex]
[tex]T-w_{x2}=m_2*a_x[/tex] \\w in the x direction of mass 2
[tex]w_{x2}=-2.6*sin(33)[/tex]
Careful with signs. Which way are the masses accelerating?

I should use this to solve for [tex]a_x[/tex]?
You need to use the equations for both masses to solve for the acceleration.

moving on to m1
[tex]\sum F_x=m_1*a_x[/tex]
[tex]T+F=m_1*a_x[/tex]
Good.
Do I plug in for a_x because if I do, then I have a T on both sides, in a place that wouldn't be easy to solve?
Once you correct the sign error and rearrange the first equation, it may be easier to see how to eliminate T.

Thank you for the quick response.
I'm not sure why I put that negative sign there, but even after fixing that I'm still stuck.
[tex]w_{x2}=2.6*sin(33)[/tex]

and
[tex]w_{x2}-T=m_2*a_x[/tex]
[tex]a_x=\frac{w_{x2}-T}{m_2}[/tex]

but after plugging in
[tex]T=m_1\frac{w_{x2}-T}{m_2}-F[/tex]
making it difficult to solve for T. Am I not understanding something?
[edits for minor mistakes]

jedjj said:
Thank you for the quick response.
I'm not sure why I put that negative sign there, but even after fixing that I'm still stuck.
[tex]w_{x2}=2.6*sin(33)[/tex]

and
[tex]w_{x2}-T=m_2*a_x[/tex]
Stop right there! Now combine this equation with the equation for m1 to eliminate T. (Write them one after the other and compare them.)

Thank you so much for helping me. I feel like I am close, but I am getting a negative tension (and the magnitude of it is not correct).

[tex]w_{x2}-m_2*a_x+F=m_1*a_x[/tex]
[tex]a_x=\frac {w_{x2}+F}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

[tex]T=w_{x2}-m_2*a_x[/tex]
but I'm getting -.0479
why?

jedjj said:
I feel like I am close, but I am getting a negative tension (and the magnitude of it is not correct).

[tex]w_{x2}-m_2*a_x+F=m_1*a_x[/tex]
[tex]a_x=\frac {w_{x2}+F}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]
This is correct. What did you get for the acceleration?

[tex]T=w_{x2}-m_2*a_x[/tex]
This is also correct. So if you plug your answer for acceleration into this expression, you should be good to go.

The equations are fine. Just do the arithmetic over. (If it's not an arithmetic error, then you are inputing a wrong value somewhere.)

a_x = (2.6*sin(33)+2.3) / (4+2.6)
a_x = 0.563

T = 2.6*sin(33) - (2.6(.563))
T = -.0477

[physics makes me feel ignorant :( ]

jedjj said:
a_x = (2.6*sin(33)+2.3) / (4+2.6)
a_x = 0.563
You left something out: That should be mg sin(33), not m sin(33).

[physics makes me feel ignorant :( ]
Me too! :wink:

Thank you so much!
I think I need to do some practice problems similar to this, because I am having a very hard time with this. (I'm sure I can find plenty on this board :) ).

Related to Solve Force and Tension for Masses in Inclined Plane System | Newton's Laws

1. How do you calculate the force and tension in an inclined plane system?

The force and tension in an inclined plane system can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion. First, determine the mass of the object on the inclined plane. Then, use trigonometry to find the component of the weight acting down the plane. This component is equal to the force down the plane. To find the tension, use the equation T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

2. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. How do you apply Newton's laws to solve force and tension in an inclined plane system?

To apply Newton's laws to solve force and tension in an inclined plane system, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object on the inclined plane. Then, identify all the forces acting on the object, including the weight, normal force, and tension. Next, apply Newton's second law to find the net force acting on the object. Finally, use trigonometry and the equations for force and tension to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What is the relationship between force and tension in an inclined plane system?

In an inclined plane system, the force and tension are directly related. This means that as the force increases, the tension also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be expressed as T = Fsinθ, where T is the tension, F is the force, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

5. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force and tension in a system?

The angle of the inclined plane has a significant impact on the force and tension in a system. As the angle increases, the force and tension also increase. This is because the component of the weight acting down the plane increases with a steeper angle. However, at a certain angle (known as the critical angle), the object will begin to slide down the plane, and the force and tension will decrease. This relationship is important to consider when solving for force and tension in an inclined plane system.