Solve Friction Problem: Find Acceleration of M | N1/N2 Normal Forces

• Thread starter sachin123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of M, with N1 representing the normal force between the two blocks and N2 representing the normal force between the ground and M. The equations for M and m are provided, but there is confusion over the signs and direction of certain forces. Ultimately, the correct equations are determined to be 2T-N1n1-N2=Ma(horizontal), Mg+T+N2n2-N1=0(vertical), mg-T-N2n2=m(2a), and N2=ma.
sachin123
[URL]http://img600.imageshack.us/i/22258756.jpg/[/URL]
link:
"[URL
http://img600.imageshack.us/i/22258756.jpg/
Find acceleration of M.
N1 is normal force between the two blocks and N2 is that between the ground and M.

Let M move with acceleration 'a' towards right and so,m moves with acceleration '2a' downward and 'a' to the right.
Here are my equations:
For M,
2T-N1n1-N2=Ma(horizontal)

and
Mg-T-N2n2=0(vertical)

For m,
mg-T-N2n2=m(2a)

and
N2=ma
Are all these correct?
I am not getting the correct answer.

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Check your second equation - vetical for M.
you have missed [tex]N_1[/tex]. and are the signs for [tex]N_2n_2[/tex] and T alright?

Hi.
Oh yes how dumb of me.
So the correct ones are:

For M,

and
Mg-T+N2n2-N1=0(vertical)

For m,
mg-T-N2n2=m(2a)

and
N2=ma
Are all these correct now?

Still, in the 2nd eqn, T is in the direction of Mg. So, its got to have a +ve sign.

Actually i am little muddled up with the vertical eq.
T pulls the big block M right?Mg brings it down.Why +ve signs for both then?
What are the vertical forces on M?
Mg,N1,friction between the two blocks right?
Where does the T come from anyway?
I don't know why I put T.

they pulley on the top-right of the big block, experiences T towards the right & towards the bottom.

Oh and pulley is attached to M.That was clearer.
So finally,For M,

and
Mg-T+N2n2-N1=0(vertical)

For m,
mg+T-N2n2=m(2a)and
N2=ma
Correct?

Still not :-p
T should have a +ve sign (2nd eqn).
Mg, T and [tex]N_2n_2[/tex] point downwards while [tex]N_{1}[/tex] points upwards.

Oh I'm sorry graphene,I understood but didn't put it carefully.

For M,

and
Mg+T+N2n2-N1=0(vertical)

For m,
mg-T-N2n2=m(2a)

and
N2=ma

FAQ: Solve Friction Problem: Find Acceleration of M | N1/N2 Normal Forces

1. What is friction and why is it a problem?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It can be a problem because it can make it difficult to move objects or cause wear and tear on surfaces.

2. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured using a unit called the coefficient of friction, which is the ratio of the force required to move an object to the force pressing the object against the surface.

3. What are some common examples of friction?

Some common examples of friction include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together, and the brakes on a car or bicycle.

4. How does the type of surface affect friction?

The type of surface can greatly affect friction. Rough surfaces tend to have more friction, while smooth surfaces have less friction. Additionally, the material of the surfaces can also impact friction. For example, rubber on concrete has more friction than metal on ice.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother and more slippery materials can also decrease friction. In some cases, adding wheels or rollers can also reduce friction by allowing for smoother movement.