Solve Friction & Pulley Problem: Acceleration of Blocks

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a perfect rope connecting two blocks of different weights, passing over a pulley on a 53° incline. The task is to calculate the acceleration of either block, given a coefficient of friction of 0.2. The correct answer is 0.0688 m/sec^2, but the person asking for help has made an error in their solution by mixing up their variables.
metallica007
Hello everyone... I need ur help in the following problem

Homework Statement

A perfect rope connects a 20 kg block to a 30 kg block. The rope passes over a perfect
pulley at the top of a 53 ° incline. The 30 kg block rests on the incline and the 20 kg
block hangs from the pulley. The blocks start from rest. Calculate the acceleration of
either block. (µ = 0.2)

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fk= N*uk

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1134/26881976.jpg

the correct answer is is 0.0688 m/sec^2
Please help me to find the error in my solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You had the correct approach and equations...but then you seemed to have reversed your m1, m2, g, and a terms. Recheck your math. Sometimes it is better to plug in the numbers right away up front, to avoid the messy algebra. But don't tell the math folks i said that:wink:

FAQ: Solve Friction & Pulley Problem: Acceleration of Blocks

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and the force of attraction between them.

2. How does friction affect the acceleration of blocks?

Friction can decrease the acceleration of blocks by creating a resistive force that opposes the applied force and reduces the net force acting on the blocks. This can cause the blocks to move at a slower pace.

3. What role does the pulley play in this problem?

The pulley is a simple machine that allows us to change the direction of a force and transmit it to another object. In this problem, the pulley helps to distribute the force evenly between the two blocks and reduce the effects of friction.

4. How can we calculate the acceleration of the blocks?

To calculate the acceleration of the blocks, we need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the blocks, m is the mass of the blocks and a is the acceleration. We also need to take into account the effects of friction and the pulley in our calculations.

5. Can we reduce the effects of friction in this problem?

Yes, we can reduce the effects of friction by using lubricants or by using smoother surfaces for the blocks to slide on. We can also increase the tension in the rope to minimize the contact between the blocks and the surface. Additionally, using a lighter weight for the blocks can also minimize the effects of friction.