Solve Gas Law Problems: Volumes, Pressures, & Temperatures

In summary, a gas-filled balloon occupies a 4-L volume at a pressure of 300kPa. If the balloon rises to a height of where the pressure is 200kPa, the balloon will occupy a volume of 8.3 L.
DoctorReynaldo
Gas Law Problems
A gas-filled balloon occupies a 4-L volume at a pressure of 300kPa. What volume will the balloon occupy if it rises to a height of where the pressure is 200kPa?

Calculate the hieght to which a pressure of one atmosphere can life a column of water. Mercury is 13.6 times as dense as water.

a 60-m^3 volume of gasy is at a temperature of 27 degrees Celsius. Under constant pressure the gas is cooles to -73 degrees Celsius. Calculate the new volume of gas.

While held at a constant pressure, 12 L of gas are heated at 127.5 degrees celsius. If the new volume is 18L, what was the original temperature of the gas in degrees celsius?

A gas is kept in a closed container at 620kPa. The gas is heated from 100 degrees celsius to 300 degrees celsius. Calculate the new pressure of the gas.

a 6.0-L volume of gas has a pressure of 140 kPa and a temperature of -14 degrees celsius. What will be the pressure of this gas if the volume is reduced to 1.5 L and the temperature raised to 504 degrees celsius?

The density of air is 1.3g/L at standard conditions of 101 kPa and 0 degrees celsius. Determine the mass of 3.0 L of ait at a pressure of 138.2 kPa and a temperature of 273 degrees celsius.

One atmosphere of air pressure supports a column of water approximately 10.3 m high. A 2.0 cm^3 bubble of air is released by a diver working 62.4 m below the surface of a deep lake. If its temperature remains constant, what is the volume of the bubble as it reaches the surface? Hint: the pressure on the surface of the lake is on atm.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think these can all be solved using the ideal gas law, pv=nrt

Since you didn't ask specificly for direction and have shown no work, this is about the most help you can expect to get here.

Hint:
Calculate the hieght to which a pressure of one atmosphere can life a column of water. Mercury is 13.6 times as dense as water.

and the answer is in another problem:
One atmosphere of air pressure supports a column of water approximately 10.3 m high.

I just got done with this lesson in chemistry. Most of those can be solved using the Boyle's Law and Combined Gas Law.

boyle's law - P1/P2 = V2/V1

Combined gas law - P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

P-Pressure
V-Volume
T-Temperature

*You might have to get P1 by using PG=Patm-Hg or PG=Patm-Hg-H2O

*Remember to change Celsius to Kelvins (C + 273)

There's some problems on there I don't know how to do.

I don't know why this is on a general physics forum. I've haven't had
physics yet. Am I going to see Gas Law again?

Related to Solve Gas Law Problems: Volumes, Pressures, & Temperatures

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do I solve gas law problems?

To solve gas law problems, you must first identify the known variables and the unknown variable. Then, use the appropriate gas law equation (Boyle's law, Charles's law, or Gay-Lussac's law) to solve for the unknown variable. Remember to convert all units to the correct SI units (Kelvin, liters, and atmospheres) before plugging them into the equation.

3. What is Boyle's law?

Boyle's law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa. Boyle's law can be expressed as P₁V₁=P₂V₂, where P₁ and V₁ are the initial pressure and volume, and P₂ and V₂ are the final pressure and volume.

4. What is Charles's law?

Charles's law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, volume increases, and vice versa. Charles's law can be expressed as V₁/T₁=V₂/T₂, where V₁ and T₁ are the initial volume and temperature, and V₂ and T₂ are the final volume and temperature.

5. How do I convert between Celsius and Kelvin?

To convert from Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273 to the Celsius temperature. For example, 25°C is equal to 298K. To convert from Kelvin to Celsius, subtract 273 from the Kelvin temperature. For example, 300K is equal to 27°C.