Solve Gas Laws Questions: Density, Mass, Volume, Pressure

In summary: For example: p_{0}=p_{g}h. So, all you need is to calculate pressure under water (since you know the one on the surface, p_{0}): p=p_{0}+\rho g h. You can also do the whole thing without even calculating the pressures (only with heights) if you write the equations in different way. For example: p_{0}=p_{g}h.
tommy1
1. The density of air is 1.3g/L at standard conditions of 101kPa and 0 degrees celcius. determine the mass of 3.0 L of air at a pressure of 138.2 kPa and a temp of 273 degrees celcius.

2. One atmosphere of air pressure supports a column of water approximately 10.3 m high. A 2.0-cm^3 bubble of air is released by a diver working 62.4 m below the surface of a deep lake. If its temp remains constant, what is the volume of the bubble as it reaches the surface? the pressure on the surface of the lake is one atm.

Homework Equations

i need help with bother of these. alli know is that you use the gas laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first one...i worked at it with a friend at we(mostly him) got i think 21 grams? i left my answer sheet in school but it was around there. He never really got to explain it to me so I am confused. And for the second I am sorry but i have no idea even how to start that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
tommy1 said:
2. One atmosphere of air pressure supports a column of water approximately 10.3 m high. A 2.0-cm^3 bubble of air is released by a diver working 62.4 m below the surface of a deep lake. If its temp remains constant, what is the volume of the bubble as it reaches the surface? the pressure on the surface of the lake is one atm.

You can use Boyle-Mariotte law here ([itex]p_{1}V_{1}=p_{2}V_{2}[/itex]), since the temperature remains constant. You only need to determine pressures on the surface and at the given depth using the formula for hydrostatic pressure ([itex]p=\rho g h[/itex]).

Dr. Jekyll said:
You can use Boyle-Mariotte law here ([itex]p_{1}V_{1}=p_{2}V_{2}[/itex]), since the temperature remains constant. You only need to determine pressures on the surface and at the given depth using the formula for hydrostatic pressure ([itex]p=\rho g h[/itex]).

can you explain that second equation a little more indepth please

The second equation is for the hydrostatic pressure. It is caused by the weight of the fluid (density rho) above the certain depth (h).

You say that one atmosphere pressure is equal to hydrostaic pressure 10.3 m below water. For example, the same thing is equal to hydrostatic pressure 735 mm under mercury (735 mmHg).

So, all you need is to calculate pressure under water (since you know the one on the surface, [itex]p_{0}[/itex]): [itex]p=p_{0}+\rho g h[/itex]. You can also do the whole thing without even calculating the pressures (only with heights) if you write the equations in different way.

Related to Solve Gas Laws Questions: Density, Mass, Volume, Pressure

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that relates the four variables of pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in moles. It is commonly written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation is used to calculate any one of the variables, given the values of the other three, for an ideal gas.

2. How do you calculate density of a gas using the gas laws?

The density of a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, where density is equal to the product of the gas's molar mass and its pressure divided by the gas constant and temperature. This can be written as ρ = (PM)/(RT), where ρ is density, P is pressure, M is molar mass, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

3. What is the relationship between mass and volume in the gas laws?

The mass and volume of a gas are directly proportional to each other at constant temperature and pressure. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, its mass also decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the combined gas law, which states that PV/T = constant, where P is pressure, V is volume, and T is temperature.

4. How does pressure affect the properties of a gas?

Pressure is a measure of the force exerted by gas molecules on the walls of a container. As pressure increases, the volume of the gas decreases, and vice versa. In addition, pressure and temperature have an inverse relationship, meaning that as pressure increases, temperature also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the ideal gas law, PV = nRT.

5. Can the gas laws be applied to all types of gases?

The gas laws are based on the assumptions of an ideal gas, which means that they are most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Real gases may not always follow the predictions of the ideal gas law, but they are still useful approximations for most gases under everyday conditions. Under extreme conditions, such as high pressures or low temperatures, other equations or corrections may need to be applied.