Solve Gauss' Law Problem: Electric Field at P on Spherical Shell

In summary, the conversation discusses an insulator in the shape of a spherical shell with inner and outer radii of 4cm and 6cm respectively. The insulator has a total charge of +9 mC and the task is to find the y-component of the electric field at a given point. The discussion includes the use of Gauss' law and determining the volume of the insulator enclosed within a certain radius.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

An insulator in the shape of a spherical shell is shown in cross-section above. (see attached .gif) The insulator is defined by an inner radius a = 4 cm and an outer radius b = 6 cm and carries a total charge of Q = + 9 mC (1 mC = 10-6 C). (You may assume that the charge is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of the insulator).

What is Ey, the y-component of the electric field at point P which is located at (x,y) = (0, -5 cm) as shown in the diagram?

Homework Equations

I can't do this I am totally stuck.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so obviously gauss law.
I chose sphere inside the sphere, of radius 4cm for my gauss surface
i need to calc the charge in this enclosed sphere.

So charge in the sphere should be:

Qin = (r^3 / (R^3 - r^3))*Q

= 7.2e-5

this much is wrong but don't know why
please help --thanks

Heres the drawing on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15315161@N02/1607125471/

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can't see the attachment... but I assume (0, -5cm) is located at a radius of 5cm from the center? If I'm wrong about this let me know.

So using Gauss' law... what is the volume of the insulator enclosed within a radius of 5cm?

Hello,

As a fellow scientist, I understand your frustration in trying to solve this problem. I will try my best to provide a clear and concise explanation for solving Gauss' Law problem for the electric field at point P on a spherical shell.

First, let's review Gauss' Law. Gauss' Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0). In mathematical terms, this can be written as:

Φ = Qenc/ε0

where Φ is the electric flux, Qenc is the enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space (8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2).

In this problem, we are given a spherical insulator with an inner radius of 4 cm and an outer radius of 6 cm, carrying a total charge of +9 mC. We are asked to find the y-component of the electric field at point P, which is located at (x,y) = (0,-5 cm).

To solve this problem, we will need to use a Gaussian surface that encloses the point P and the spherical insulator. Since the point P is located outside of the insulator, we can use a spherical surface with a radius larger than 6 cm. Let's choose a radius of 10 cm for our Gaussian surface.

Now, we need to calculate the charge enclosed by this surface. Since the charge is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of the insulator, we can use the equation for the charge density (ρ) to find the charge enclosed:

ρ = Q/V

where Q is the total charge and V is the volume of the insulator. The volume of a spherical shell is given by:

V = (4/3)π(b^3 - a^3)

where a is the inner radius and b is the outer radius of the shell. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:

V = (4/3)π[(6 cm)^3 - (4 cm)^3] = 179.6 cm^3

Now, we can calculate the charge enclosed:

Qenc = ρV = (9 mC)/(179.6 cm^3) = 0.05 mC

Next, we need to calculate the electric flux through our Gaussian surface. Since the electric field is perpendicular to the surface

Related to Solve Gauss' Law Problem: Electric Field at P on Spherical Shell

1. What is Gauss' Law and why is it important?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and allows us to calculate electric fields in complex situations.

2. How do you solve Gauss' Law problems involving a spherical shell?

To solve Gauss' Law problems involving a spherical shell, we first draw a Gaussian surface in the shape of a sphere that encloses the charge distribution. Then, we use the formula Φ = q/ε₀ to calculate the electric flux through the surface. Finally, we apply the symmetry of the problem to determine the electric field at a point on the surface.

3. What is the formula for the electric field at a point on a spherical shell?

The formula for the electric field at a point on a spherical shell is E = Q/(4πε₀r²), where Q is the charge enclosed within the shell, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point.

4. How does the electric field at a point on a spherical shell change as the distance from the center of the shell changes?

The electric field at a point on a spherical shell is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the shell. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can Gauss' Law be applied to non-spherical charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to any closed surface, regardless of its shape. However, it is easier to apply to symmetrical charge distributions such as spheres, cylinders, and planes.

Back