Solve GAXPY Operations for Matrix A & Vector x

In summary, I tried to solve the homework equation by solving the system of linear equations Ax = b, but it was too messy and I didn't get any result. I would start with a smaller matrix, such as 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 matrix, to get an idea of how things work.
lolittaFarhat

Homework Statement

Let A be an nxn matrix belonging to R and x be a vector of length k belonging to R. Find the first column of
M = (A − x1I)(A − x2I)...(A − xrI) using a sequence of GAXPY’s operations.

Homework Equations

GAXPY: General matrix A multiplied by a vector X plus a vector Y

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to figure it out by writing A and x explicitly and then multiplying (A-x1I) ...(A-xrI) but it was so messy and i did not get any result, i want a hint how to start the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
lolittaFarhat said:

Homework Statement

Let A be an nxn matrix belonging to R and x be a vector of length k belonging to R.
The matrix and vector don't "belong to" R. I think what you mean is that the entries in A and x are real numbers. The matrix would be an element of ##\mathbb{R}^{n x n}## and the vector would be (I think) an element of ##\mathbb{R}^k##, unless by "length" you mean its magnitude.
lolittaFarhat said:
Find the first column of
M = (A − x1I)(A − x2I)...(A − xrI) using a sequence of GAXPY’s operations.
What is r in the equation above? In other words, how many factors are there on the right?

lolittaFarhat said:

Homework Equations

GAXPY: General matrix A multiplied by a vector X plus a vector Y

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to figure it out by writing A and x explicitly and then multiplying (A-x1I) ...(A-xrI) but it was so messy and i did not get any result, i want a hint how to start the solution.

what you thought is absolutely right, A is a matrix in R^(nxn) and x is an element of R^K . r is a real variable that is equal to k. Sorry for misstating the problem statement.

Is there any relationship between k and n? Such as ##k \le n##?

If not, are there an arbitrary number of factors in M? In what you wrote, there last component of x in the matrix product is xr. The exact statement of the problem would be helpful.

I don't know if this is the best approach, but I would start with small matrices, say 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 matrix, to get an idea of how things work. I can't give any more advice until I understand more of the details of the problem.

Likes lolittaFarhat
A is an nxn matrix, I is its identity and should be also an nxn matrix, k must be equal to n because we want A-xrI . Here is the exact statement of the problem:
Let A ∈Rnxn, x ∈ Rk. Find the first column of M = (A − x1I)(A − x2I)...(A − xkI) using a sequence of GAXPY’s operations.

Try what I suggested at the end of post #4, with a 3 x 3 matrix A. That's what I would start with, and it might give you some insight into what happens for larger matrices.

$$A = \begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\
a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\
a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33} \end{bmatrix}$$
$$x = \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{bmatrix}$$

Related to Solve GAXPY Operations for Matrix A & Vector x

1. What is a GAXPY operation?

A GAXPY operation is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by a vector and then adding the result to another vector. The name GAXPY comes from the abbreviation of the basic operation: General Ax plus Y.

2. How is a GAXPY operation used in solving for a matrix and vector?

In order to solve for a matrix and vector, a GAXPY operation is used to efficiently perform the matrix multiplication and vector addition steps. This operation is particularly useful for large matrices and vectors as it reduces the number of operations needed compared to traditional matrix multiplication methods.

3. What is the purpose of solving for a matrix and vector using GAXPY operations?

The purpose of solving for a matrix and vector using GAXPY operations is to efficiently compute the result of the multiplication and addition operations, saving time and resources. This is especially important in scientific and engineering applications where large matrices and vectors are common.

4. How do I implement GAXPY operations for a given matrix and vector?

To implement GAXPY operations for a given matrix and vector, you can use a programming language such as MATLAB or Python. These languages have built-in functions for performing GAXPY operations. Alternatively, you can write your own code using the basic GAXPY formula: y = a * x + y, where a is a constant, x is the vector, and y is the result of the operation.

5. What are the advantages of using GAXPY operations over traditional matrix multiplication methods?

There are several advantages of using GAXPY operations over traditional matrix multiplication methods. These include faster computation times, reduced memory usage, and the ability to use parallel processing techniques for even faster results. GAXPY operations also have better numerical stability, making them more accurate for solving complex problems.